Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Draw length

Old 12-20-2004, 06:38 PM

Default Draw length

Hello all. I've been gun hunting for a several years now and am thinking about getting into bow hunting. It seems a little overwhelming so far. The more I read, the more questions I have. First, How is draw length measured? Can I measure it myself, or do I have to go to a sporting goods dealer? I plan on only hunting whitetails, and mainly from a treestand. What draw weight and what axle to axle length would suit my needs best? Thank you all in advance.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:48 PM

Default RE: Draw length

On the bottom third of the top page there is a post that I started where I was asking for advice with my short draw length. You'll find some good info in there I believe.

A good place to start in determining your draw length is to measure your wingspan from tip to tip, across your back, and then divide that number (in inches) by 2.5.

For me, my wingspan is 65 inches, so a good place to start for draw length is 26".

I believe that the minimum draw weight for hunting whitetails is 40#, though as a man you'd probably have no trouble with 60#'s. As others have said many times, you want a draw weight that you can handle well, as too much will hinder your shooting.

Latetly it seems axle to axle (A to A) is in the lime light, with shorter and shorter bows coming out. Generally hunters like the short A to A so that it's easier to get through the brush and shoot out of a treestand. Generally a longer A to A length is more forgiving and perhaps even a better choice for a new archer.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Draw length

I just want to add that when you pick a bow out and they come up with your draw length from your wing Span make sure you shoot the bow and have someone watch you that knows what there looking for to determine if your draw is right. There's nothing worse then getting all set up, you take your bow home, then down the road aways you go to an archery club and find out someone sold you a bow that doesn't fit you. It's happened to me and I've seen it happen to allot of other people.