Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mid-Season Screw Up

Old 12-20-2004, 10:52 AM

Default Mid-Season Screw Up

I put my bow in my new bow press (Bowmender from WWAG) and when I released it the bow dry fired. I would say it was about 1/3 the way back. The only problem I can see is string stretch. Since I have a bow press, how do I go about fixing the string? Also are there any detailed steps I should take to inspect for damages?
Old 12-20-2004, 02:25 PM

Default RE: Mid-Season Screw Up

Zak, my suggestion would be to take it to a bowshop and have them look it over. Also, I'm not sure you have the experience needed to be doing your own work. Your only just getting started in archery and fairly young too, around 13 right?

I'm 27 and I don't trust myself with a bow in the press Let the pros do it, that's their job
Old 12-20-2004, 04:57 PM

Add about 3 yeard DC! You get anything yet?
Old 12-20-2004, 05:06 PM

I agree with doublecreek. I have a bowmaster press and have changed my strings and cables but that was only after watching and asking alot of questions at my pro shop. You should also have your bow checked out since it was dry fired, just in case you missed something. Consider this a learning experience, we learn from our mistakes.
Old 12-21-2004, 01:09 PM

Add about 3 yeard DC! You get anything yet?

My bad Zak!!! I was think either 13 or 16, just decided to go with 13

Only thing I've gotten is a couple of does. Things should be getting good soon. How about you? Are those coast bucks rutting yet?
Old 12-21-2004, 02:12 PM

They should be starting DC. The one day I wasn't there several deer walked right under my stand!
Old 12-21-2004, 02:32 PM

i thought wwag was supplying directions for operation with his bow press...[&:]

i would find out what you did wrong and figure out how to correct it so you don't do that again...[8D]

doesn't it just use a ratchet strap to compress the bow? you should be able to just trip the release while holding the strap and let out the strap click by click.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:44 PM

Sho, that's what I did. Believe me you cannot hold the strap. You have to push the piece of metal holding the strap in place up. Then you let it go two clicks at a time.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:32 AM

hmmm...curious...using the technique you described, i wonder how you managed to semi-dry fire it...did something slip? [8D] anyway, good luck to you. hope you get it sorted out.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:36 PM

I could have been a lot worse Zak.

Dc has given good advise about having it checked at a shop. If I remember correctly you were having troubles with your shop wern't you? I can understand wanting to do your own work. I do as much as I can myself as I find it much more rewarding but I wouldn't hesitate to have a shop double check it after a semi dry fire. Safety should be paramont.

Quick Reply: Mid-Season Screw Up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.