Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need help on buying a compound bow

Old 12-19-2004, 09:15 PM

Default need help on buying a compound bow

Hey everyone I am in the market for a compound bow and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I am not looking to spend a lot of money but something nice and reliable. Also how does the sight work on the front of the bow I am just starting out.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2004, 10:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: need help on buying a compound bow

Look in the phone book for a archery store. Not walmart or the like but a pro shop. Go in there and ask the same questions and also tell them what you want to do IE> hunt deer , elk Or target. They will set you up with what you need and show you how to use everything and when you come out of there you will be ready to practice till your arms fall off. If you plan on hunting next fall shoot every day at least as much as you can and you will be suprised at how fast you will learn. As for brands of bows They are all pretty good If you can afford a solo cam get it. I shoot a Mathews but these days they all shoot good.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your best at going to an archery shop to have these question's answered for you.There are so many good bow's that will fall into your price range that you need to try them out and make your own decision you'll know what feel's right for you when you shoot them.Don't let the shop talk you into buying what doesn't feel right for you .But they can answer all your question's and show you better than we can explain it to you here on this forum.Good luck on choosing your new bow and keep us updated on what you buy . On your string there will or should be a peep and on the riser is where your sight will be mounted ,when you draw back your string you look through the peep and center your pin in the middle of the peep ,but first you need to know what distance your pin's are set at .This is where the archery shop come's in and they can help you set up your bow before you take it home .

nubo

nubo
Old 12-20-2004, 08:29 AM

^^^^^

What they said. So what price range are you looking at?

IMO, if you are already a hunter, you should probably shoot abit high when you look for a new bow, that way you won't be ready to buy another one next year (well, that is unless you can afford to buy a new bow ever year or two).

However, if you've never hunted, much less bow hunted, it might be a good idea to go a little lower and not have such a big investment into this just in case it turns out bow hunting is not for you. I've seen the PSE Nova (lower end hunting bow) that normally sells for $200 (accessories included) go for $99 for the year old model. I.e., this past summer I saw the 2003 Nova packages going for $99. It was either in Cabelas or Basspro catalog.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:02 AM
Typical Buck

See if there's a archery club in your area. There's usually a number of guys there that would be willing to help!