Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Getting Close

Old 12-19-2004, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default Getting Close

Deer season is getting close to being over. Here in Kansas the last day for bow season is Jan. 31. I think we can only take antlerless only though. My question is how good is the hunting for the rest of the season. I've heard that some pepole quit after the rut is over.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Getting Close

I don't know about Kansas but in my part of Illinois the last 2 weeks of December can be very good although tough. It all depends on the food sources. Last late season was spectacular for me due to availability of food sources on the land I hunt.....not so this season.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

if all the does get breed in the rut then it will be an issue of food supplies, here in bama all the does will not be breed the first time they are in season and 29 days later, tada!!!, what seams to be a second rut, i've killed bigger and better deer after x-mas every season, useally a big buck running a doe, or working a scrape. so i'm not really sure how it is in your locale, but here they could extend the season till mid feb. and take it from the first part when its 70-80 degrees and you got to contend with the skeeters[:@], here the best hunting is late season, for me anyway

best of luck
Old 12-19-2004, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

As CougarMag states, it can indeed be a great time to bowhunt here. Key in on the thickest and nastiest tangles of cover and hunt between there and their feeding areas. Nodoubt, the food sources in my area this late in the season become more concentrated and less random. It seems here, the deer will browse on their way to and from the cornfields. I certainly wouldn't give it up! For the record, I have seen some of the largest antlered bucks in my life during the late archery season. Good luck
Old 12-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

For late season ,I hunt food . The colder the better ,they seam to come out to eat after sun up and again before sun set.
Also watch the weather if they call for a storm the deer chow down just before it hits and just after it's over.
Dress warm , sitting in a tree stand on a 10 or less degree morning can be a challange for your feet.
I try and stay till 11 am but I may not get to the stand till just before sun rise
Old 12-19-2004, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

The reason these people quit hunting after the rut is because they're hunting buck's only ,but if your just looking to fill the freezer then keep getting out there because there's still deer to be taken.

nubo