Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Coat for cold weather thats not soo bulky...

Old 12-19-2004, 10:58 AM

Default Coat for cold weather thats not soo bulky...

What is a good coat for bowhunting?? This morning it was about cold so I bundled up with a few layers and my coat I felt like the stay puff marshmallow guy. You guys have any suggestions for a coat this is warm around freezing temps, but not real bulky. I have a remington brand coat in mossy oak now and its too big to bowhunt with i dont feel comfortable drawing my bow with it on....
Old 12-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coat for cold weather thats not soo bulky...

Cabela's MTO50 Whitetail Extreme Parka.... the best I have ever seen! Awesome leyout and extreme comfort without the bulk of much cheaper "coats" and Parkas.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to wear my Cabelas Whitetail series Fleece coat. It has all the bells and whistles. Thinsulate, Gore-tex, everything. The only problem is that it is too bulky for bowhunting. I found a much better alternative. I now wear my Cabelas Silent-hide bowhunting jacket with the 100-gram liner. Under that I wear my double faced fleece zip up jacket that I bought at a dept. store. It is the kind with the stand up collar. Very light, thin, flexible and man is it warm. Under that is a t-shirt over my Thermax underwear. The combo is the ultimate in comfort AND warmth. You can shoot a bow no problem. I have sat in a tree for 6 hours in breezy 20 degree weather and your body warmth is not a factor. Your feet, on the other hand, could be. I would not hesitate to wear that combo down into the teens.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:13 PM

I actually made the best hunting purchase of my life this year. I was reading a Backpacker magazine at the doctors office a couple of years ago and they reviewed a company that will custom make a fleece jacket. I had the company mail me a fabric sample and it sat on my dresser ever since. I never really got around to ordering one. Well, in August I got an email from the company with a coupon for 10% off and in that email they said they had a new color realtree camo. I had my brother measure me and ordered the jacket. Needless to say its awesome, and it fits absolutely perfect because its custom made to my specs (I actuall had just bought and returned 4 different jackets to Cabela's because I couldn't get them to fit right.) They make the jacket to not be tight but also not baggy; perfect for bow hunting. Check them out if you want www.beyondfleece.com
Old 12-19-2004, 09:19 PM

Nothing beats Wool. I wear wool top to bottom and can sit out as long as i like. I have sat in 10 and below weather with slight wind and i was fine. I have the parka and bibs from cabelas each was about 180 dollars. Its not bulky at all, i can still draw and feel comfortable shooting with them on.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Kodiak, bad link..

I also want to correct myself. The silent hide bowhunting jacket I have is from Red Head (Bass Pro), not Cabelas....sorry
Old 12-20-2004, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.beyondfleece.com/

Try that one
Old 12-20-2004, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cabelas Revolution Fleece Pullover would be my suggestion. 150 grams of Thinsulate throughout with their Dry Plus Wind/Precipitation stopping liner. It is my first choice when the whether gets to be in the teens overnight and high 20's low 30's during the day. When it gets really cold then I opt for a Cabelas MT050 one piece insulated outfit. The Revolution Fleece pullover is not bulky and will definitely keep you warm.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:07 PM

Try that one
LOL, Would you believe that I work with HTML all day long? It must have been a long day when I posted that, or an early morning .
Old 12-20-2004, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also use the Cabela MT050 gore-tex.

A couple layers underneath and you will stay comfortable all day.

Quick Reply: Coat for cold weather thats not soo bulky...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.