Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tough Question

Old 12-18-2004, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tough Question

All very excellent answers! This thread is a good read.

I feel the same as each of you. I take no enjoyment out of killing yet I have a deep love and respect for deer.

I'd like to take this question a step further...

My 4 year old daughter loves deer meat and enjoys watching hunting shows with me. However, I feel ashamed every time she asks me about killing an animal. "Did you kill it and make it bleed Daddy?" - said in her saddest voice. It hurts all the way to my soul when she asks that question.
Does anyone else feel shame about killing the animal or do I just need a higher dose on my prescription?
Old 12-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

The blue pills, Hazcon. The blue ones.

I spent much of my childhood and teenage years on my grampa's farm, so I've always known where food comes from and what you have to do to get it. A farm kid knows there's no shame in killing an animal for food, either wild or domestic. Nor is there any shame in eliminating animals that are a threat to your crops or livestock. Some animals die so others can live. That's Nature. As bad as a lot of people try to pretend it ain't so, humans are still part of nature.

Even if you live your life eating nothing but veggies and fruit, you are killing animals. There is no telling how many ground nesting birds, rabbits, gophers and such are killed by farmers plowing their fields to plant crops. Even though you didn't kill the animals yourself, by eating the produce from those fields you had a hand in it. It's a fact of nature.

Now, that's not to say I don't think there are some shameful reasons to kill animals. For instance, the guys who do it to take a big set of horns and leave the meat and hide to rot...[:@]
Old 12-19-2004, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great point Arthur P. I never looked at the veggie thing that way. I agree with all the other points on here also. I always look into the eye of the animal in which I have took and thank the power above for giving me the opportunity to be involved in the cycle of life. I always return the animals heart to the earth. Part of my beleifs. The animals spirit does not belong to me. Call me wierd but it is just my beleifs.

This topic however makes me wonder about the wolf issue here in the west. The wolves too are culling out the sick and the week and keeping the herds in check. Are we as hunters displeased with the wolves for selfish reasons or is there truth to what some say about other animals going extinct because of the wolves. Personally I don't like them because it may readuce my chances in future years of being part of the cycle of life. But this one has really got me thinking. Please don't turn this thread into an anti wolf post as there are enough of those. I just wanted to let you all know that you really got me thinking on this one.

Dammit Jim, I am only a doctor!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2004, 09:25 AM

NO I don't love to kill, thats why I don't shoot just any deer or animal, I will shoot a doe after bagging a decent mature buck. But I don't shoot any young bucks at all. The best part of hunting is just being out in the woods, and not having to deal with people, and being in your own world out there. I don't care whether I see a deer, or not, if I do it is a bonus. It is just being out there.

I have a couple of friends that shoot anything that walks buy, I hate the way they practice their hunting, there is no thrill in that, it is not called killing it is hunting for a reason. The thrill of hunting comes from the chase or all those patient days on stand waiting for that monster buck or maybe just a doe. Each animal deserves respect, whether a buck or doe. I grew up being taught that hunting is just not to kill. When I harvested my 1st doe, after tagging a nice buck, it did not feel the same, I did not keep the doe, I gave it to the outfitters father for meat during the winter. Wounding deer, is possibly the worst feeling ever, I can't stand wounding deer, I have before, 2 times, in 2yrs, and I looked for those deer forever, and without finding a trace of them, I thought that would make it the rest of the year, and which they did, as I saw them later in the season. Which made me feel better that they lived.

I enjoy being in the wilderness, it kind of solves all those stressful problems and lets you get away from that boring ole' working life.

I have had many people at school ask me how I can kill animals, especially those cute deer as they call them. They think I am just shooting everything, but they don't the managment practices, and if hunters weren't there, what would keep that deer herd in order? And every non-hunter thinks your killing Bambi, haha, I doubt many people shoot fawns or yearlings, and if they did, they should have a good cause for it, because there is no need to shoot that young of a deer!
Old 12-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

I don't "enjoy" the kill, but I take pride in a good, quick, clean kill which leads to great eating, and good memories. I think the whole hunt is part of the kill not just the shot. I love retelling the hunt, the shot, and the bloodtrail. I do not enjoy thinking of the deers last few gasps for breath, but am glad that it happened.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:44 PM

At first thought I feel in a way that I enjoy the kill just because it is part of the accomplishment when taking a whitetail. On the other hand, I pass shots on most deer I see and will go without a deer for the year if necessary in the attempt to take a mature deer. So this tells me that the kill is very unimportant to me.

Thinking through this further and remembering all my experiences I realize that the kill itself is not enjoyable. What made me realize this is remembering the 3 times I have shot a deer in the spine and had to shoot another arrow to finish them. The first time I was waiting for the deer to expire and then realized I needed to finish it. I walked up to it and drew back from about 8 feet as it was staring at me. I put 2nd arrow through its lungs and it was done in a matter of seconds. I did what I had to do but it was not a good feeling to shoot them while they are trying to stand up and looking right at you. I have done it 3 times and it is quite a strange feeling just sitting here thinking about it.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is a easy one for me. I view animals as just that, animals. Don't get me wrong I don't go through my neighborhood shooting everyones pets but killing a animal doesn't effect me in the least. I've had to kill wounded deer, feral cats and dogs, and just about everything else and I'm just it just doesn't bother me. Maybe I need to go on Oprah and talk to Dr. Phil about it.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:34 PM

For me it is all about providing for my family. Sure I can run down to the local market and pick up some steaks or a roast, but it is full of who knows what kind of steroid. I dont like the kill. I always kneel and give thanks beside the animal that I have taken.

I am a huge advocate in providing for your self as much as you can. If you can hunt, then go do it. If you can fish tan go do that. If you grow veggies than do that, casue they will taste real good next to my venison.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:38 PM

ORIGINAL: 3 Shot

And every non-hunter thinks your killing Bambi, haha, I doubt many people shoot fawns or yearlings, and if they did, they should have a good cause for it, because there is no need to shoot that young of a deer!
3 Shot, just so you will know when you are arguing with the anti's, Bambi was a buck... a BIG buck. Tell them you wouldn't think twice about shooting sweet innocent Bambi - he would be a great trophy! Then laugh when they give you their disgusted look.

Like someone on here has already pointed out, if you don't try it you will never understand. You are better off arguing your point to the wall than with an animal-rights activist. Nothing you can say will change their ignorance... Now if you are debating with a sensible non-hunter who has legitimate questions about our passion (not sport), then you might want to try to be a little more sincere and tactful.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:03 AM
Typical Buck

Now this was an excellent thread! I couldn't agree more with everybody. I admit that I DO like to see the deer go down; however, it's not in the joy of killing something that I enjoy it. I like to see the deer go down because it assures me that I've done my job with a QUICK, clean, and efficient kill...nothing more. I'll admit, I've had to call game wardens on more than one occasion to come out and kill a deer (always doe) that I had to sit and watch suffer before WI encountered CWD and earn a buck. The only reason I wouldn't shoot them outright was fear of PROSECUTION. It would litterally flip my stomach to see it, and an even more so after a half hour to an hour nobody coming looking for it. I love to watch deer, in the animal world, they are without a doubt an almost perfect example of beauty, power, and grace in one package.

Quick Reply: Tough Question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.