Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

????'s on asking farmers/landowners for hunting Permission

Old 12-16-2004, 07:53 PM

Default ????'s on asking farmers/landowners for hunting Permission

Hoping to hit the deer a little harder and a little more seriously next year and I was wondering if after the season is over and i find a couple big deer while spotting... would it be too early to ask for permission for next year? and do you ask to hunt for one day or all season? any little tips would be great! THANX
Old 12-16-2004, 08:06 PM

Default RE: ????'s on asking farmers/landowners for hunting Permission

It's never too early to ask for permission.
Ask for the whole season!
Old 12-16-2004, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never to early !!!!!!!!
Just be dressed nice ,not like a big shot or slob.
Never at lunch or supper time.
Be humble.
Take permission slips .
Ask if there are any areas off limits .
Say you will post area if they want , and do it.
Tell them that you will not drive down the lane if it is wet, even if it means you have to drag your deer a long ways.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:10 PM

It Is never to late to get permission to hunt. If you have mechanical skills offer them to fix a tractor or if you own a bissness offer something from it, if you know how to farm offer you labor. A little sweat and good will goes a long way. This method has worked for me in several states. Remember it is better to ask for permission in strees clothes.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

All the top information is great.One thing that really works here as well,especially if its a complete stranger,Is write up a permission slip with both you and his signature on it.Something in the line of ,if you hurt yourself on his property then he will not be responsible for the injury.
You would be suprised on how many people will trip over a fence,fall from a tree,step in a ground hawg hole ,etc and go back on the owner and sue him because the hole wasn't supposed to be there etc.
Go to his or her door,dressed respectfully,and ask in a polite manner if you can hunt there property in the up coming season.If they agree then ask if they want to sign the paper.This will make things a little more comfortable for the land owner.
If they deny you permission then dont get mad and storm out,politely say thank you for your time and maybe someday they may change there mind.KINDNESS goes a long way.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:43 PM

AS a land owner who gets asked A LOT by people if they can hunt some of our ground for animals ranging from coons to deer a few things go a long way.

Talk to me in the spring. Heck, talk to me in December about next year. Don't wait for hunting season to start and show up in a truck filled with people in camo asking if it would be okay if you and your 6 buddies go hunting. I don't know you and I sure as heck am not going to be happy with your aproach. I have had this happen for archery and firearm seasons and the answer was no. A little respect goes a long way.

Don't flag me down like it is an emergancy when I am working a group of cattle. Generally, if you walk up slowly and calmy and wait by a gate I will be there as soon as I can. Or wait for the tractor to show back up at the gate after I finished feeding. I know a previous poster said lunch is a bad time but around here that is the best time to talk to a farmer becasue they don't mind there meals going a little longer, they mind starting some work and being delayed.

In Illinois we have the state slips of liability. Bring those becasue without them, well, you have no proof that I gave you permission and I have no proof that you waived liability. Offer to help with something, anything. When I lived out west the rule of thumb was, if you had any knowledge about things, show up at branding, calving or lambing and offer to help. Try to build a relationship with the farmer/rancher and you will be way ahead of the game.

When you are told no, and you will be from time to time, accept the decision and move on. Don't lie and hunt the ground anyways and try telling people that so and so gave you permission or that it was a mistake, you thought you were hunting Mr. Smith's land. I know who most of my neighbors give hunting rights to and they know who I give them to. Neigbors talk out here in farm land and often a bad experience with one hunter will label that guy as a bad apple on all farms. Or worse, make the farmers in the area shut down their land all together for a few years. Most farmers would be happy to let you hunt because of crop damage or their grain trucks smaking into deer all winter long. They would rather see a hunter get him than that.

Good luck with your quest for new hunting ground.

Anthony
Old 12-17-2004, 08:52 AM

In addition to the above, I would also bring a CV with you. This will help to let them get to know who you are. Tell them you will let them know when you are going to be out there to - tell them you will call ahead if they like. And offer to give them some of the kill. I plan on asking a nearby landowner soon, and offering him half of the meat.
Remember to consider this an interview, just as if you were applying for a job you want, and act and dress accordingly.
Good luck finding your honey hole!
Old 12-17-2004, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any tips for a guy who gets really really nervous approaching people to ask to hunt? I have done it a few times in my life, but there are a lot of other places I could try for that I just back out of[&:]
Old 12-17-2004, 09:25 AM

Same with me Ryan. I'm not real comfortable asking strangers for anything. My brother in-law usually does the talking. He'll ask anyone for anything. He's never been turned down either. We have properties that we haven't had enough time to scout yet. He just keeps gaining access in case something changes on one of our other properties. I think a good place to start would be the apple orchard and the farm next to him out near your place. From what I hear they allow everyone and anyone to hunt their property. It might build the confidence a little. I didn't get time to go out there this year and gain permission.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:55 AM

Excelente post IL Rancher. It's nice to get perspective from the other side.

I like to get my foot in the door early. Ask for permission to hunt sheds in the winter or spring. Dress nicely, and be polite. The couple of times I've asked I got the name of the people I was going to see before hand so when I knocked on the door at least I knew their last name.

A thankyou note can also go a long way wether or not you gain permission. If you were denied, send a thank you note and make sure there is a return address on it. It may be enough to sway their opinion.

Quick Reply: ????'s on asking farmers/landowners for hunting Permission

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.