Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Don't let this happen to you

Old 12-17-2004, 08:04 PM

Default RE: Don't let this happen to you

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

Shhhh,

That's interesting about that. Mine is the chest/shoulder harness. I switched to it because I use to have just the strap that went around the waist. That one was the one that I heard was good for breaking ribs and cutting off your breathing. I read you should have the chest/shoulder harness. I would agree that the seat of the pants is more comfortable but insn't clothing in the way? I find on cold days I have to wear my harness inside my outer coat.

I'm also aware of the falling aspect. If I fall, I will be at the base height of my stand and if I haven't eaten too many big mac's before the hunt I can crawl back into it.

Thanks for the info.

A chest and shoulder harness should not constrict your breathing to where you would pass out........you may not be real comfortable but you shouldn't pass out.

A single strap around your chest or waist will likely cause serious damage when you fall due to ALL the pressure being absorbed in such a small area. It can also end up constricting your chest cavity or diaphragm and you could pass out and die.

I find that my SOP harness does not restrict me at all and can be worn inside or outside of my clothing with equal results.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:21 PM

I am going to stick up for Martin 8. If he has been hunting for 30 years without a harness, then maybe he has proven his point. Some people are like squirrels when they get in a tree, and don't suffer from the same "falling asleep" disease that most of us do. Just my two cents.

p.s - Yes I wear a harness.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:42 AM
Typical Buck

I know guys that have been climbing, building, repairing, rigging, and working on high TV and radio towers, in excess of 1500', for over 20 years and have never fallen. Guess wht, they still wear a harness every time up.

The law of averages will eventually catch up. From 10' on up you can break bones. From 20' up death is a possibility. Wear the 4 point harness, it is the only way to go.