Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Zip saw?

Old 12-16-2004, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default Zip saw?

I bought one this year after seeing it advertised on this site. It worked great but broke on the 3rd deer I used it on. The pro shop replaced it for me so no complaints there. Has any one else had any experience with the zip saw? Did I just get a bad one or did I do something wrong, it did seem to get twisted after the first deer. I would have thought the swivels would prevent any twisting.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:40 AM

Default RE: Zip saw?

Plumbers have a saw that won't break,bout $10.It's used for PVC cutting.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Do yourself a favor and buy the Gerber Exchange a blade saw w/sheath for $20. If you are lucky you might get one on clearance after Xmas. It comes with a wood blade and bone blade(fine tooth). I've cut everything from christmas trees, to countless limbs for clearance while hunting to the sternums on a deer and its still like new.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I talked to the rep at the ATA show about this a couple of years ago. He said I was putting to much of angle on the blade when I was using it. I took his critique to heart but I am sad to say the results weren't that different if at all.

I always feel lucky to get through more than two deer with the zip saw. Handy product, just not durable even when used properly.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Plumbers have a saw that won't break,bout $10.It's used for PVC cutting.
Ditto!
Old 12-18-2004, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't had any trouble yet , but by all indications mine should be breaking next year(3rd year).[&:] They work great though.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:47 AM
Fork Horn

I agree to go with the fixed blade Gerber. Mine is only 9 inches long and can cut down trees 4 inches in diameter. Mine is 5 years old. Cut 7 deer, 20 trees and still going strong. I'm sure I'd get another.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:55 PM

i have both the zip saw and the gerber saw with two blades, i have only used the zip 1 time the gerber is way better.