Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cross Bows

Old 12-15-2004, 08:05 AM

Default Cross Bows

Will be getting a medical exception to use a cross bow next year and wanted know of a good brand. Is there anything special to look for when purchasing ? I have used a bow in the past but cant get to full draw any longer due to an accident. So basically what I'm asking is what to look for when buying a cross bow. Are they more accurate than a compound and what is the shot distance like ? Thanks in advance for any help/advice
Old 12-15-2004, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cross Bows

I can only speak for the ones I know about. Those being PSE, Horton, Barnett, and Ten Point. Of the four brands the only one that has any quality is Ten Point. You will have to shoot them to see the differences. Most of it being quality components, quality machining (not molded plastic), a lot better trigger pull, etc. Look for a machined aluminum sight mount. I hear good things about Excaliber, but don't have any first hand knowledge.

Generally you aren't going to add a whole lot of yardage. Crossbows mostly shoot around the 280fps to 340fps mark. But short bolts lose accuracy over a given distance. After about 35 yards they drop like rocks. They are generally decently accurate out to about 40 yards. I know there will be guys who shoot 50, 60 yards and more. I don't usually listen too much. Most are just taking pot shots, and don't have a clue. There are others who can do it well, but they are the exception.

Also they are noisy. Most sound like starter pistol going off. Don't be afraid to add limb savers and string silencers to one just like a regular bow. They need all the help they can get.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:44 AM

I shoot a Hunter legend mid range quality and cost.Buy it in Jan. after season,wamart has'em.My buddies was $900 with scope can't see that cost.They are accurate,cumbersome and watch your bolt when stalking,it's not hard to dislodge it.For the scope I would reccomend the Mueller 2 to 7 with red dot.I don't own one but I am gonna, Gander has them,$150,what I like on them is the mag.At dusk in a pine forest my red dot does not gather much light.I shoot mechanical 2 bladed broadhead and not the most expensive.Make sure your state allows them.I have a bad rotor cuff or I'd shoot a compound.Crossbows require less training for a safer kill shot but they are not perfect.Luckily in Ohio we can use them full season.
I was never a fan but all the fears I had are over,the deer are still winning.It's a pain to carry,with practice they shoot straight.I'd like a sling made for them rifle slings don't get it.Go to a legit archery shop that you trust,buy what they suggest and if you don't like it you can sell it.Cocking them isn't easy remember that.
Caution: some "outdoorsmen" will look down their nose at you but they did that to me when I bought my first compound.Be ready for some teasing.

hope this helped,
lizzzard
Old 12-15-2004, 09:49 AM

Go to a search engine and type in Cross Bow forum and see what comes up. You could also do a search on this site, I listed a few in a thread once. You will most likely get much better answers to your questions on an actual cross bow site. Not many here like them to be honest, just look at most of the threads about them.

I will agree with BG, they are not the magical killing machines some say they are. Pretty much your only advantage over a newer Compound is you don't have to draw it with the deer in front you. Oh and they are easier to learn to shoot. I have had both and prefer a compound myself, although I am thinking of getting another one just to play with. They are noisy, and are awkward to carry and bring up for a shot. Most are not very light either.

Some are pretty fast, but I think they use a much lighter arrow to get the speed. I don't know that for sure, I have never weighed a bolt before. They have a pretty short power stroke, which is why you have to have so much draw weight on the limbs. They are not that effecient really. You also can't tune them, there is nothing to tune. The bolt just rides down a rail. I have always wanted to see if you could tune one for spine though, that is why I am thinking of getting another one.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 12-15-2004, 09:56 AM

Here is the thread with the links in it.

crossbow help

Good luck
Paul
Old 12-15-2004, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Horton Hunter that I have used scince 87 . Never had any problems.
I agree that 40 yds is about max.
I use a red dot sight , the new ones with 3 dots should be good
Old 12-15-2004, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I were to get another crossbow, the only one I'd consider is an excalibur.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:03 PM

I've heard good things about them, but never really seen one. Although I don't really go out looking for them either. Most of what I see is usally horton or 10 points.

Some of the Parkers sure are pretty, but I have only seen pictures of them. And darton makes some too.

Paul
Old 12-15-2004, 08:11 PM
dws

I have an older horton yukon, its slow by todays standards only 260 fps as advertised. It still works okay even though its the noisiest critter in the woods. If I was going to buy another crossbow anytime soon it would be Barnett Revolution from Cabelas for 400 bucks for everything including the multiretical scope. These new scopes are amazing they are right on the money on the faster bows. This model is like 340 fps and its only 150lb pull. If you go up to 175 lb pull it is hard on the ole fingers if you don't have on gloves. This bow also uses 22 inch bolts instead of the usual 20 inch. If you shoot a long target session they can get to your back a little, for that I would suggest a cocking aid. I would also recomend a "crossbow target" to stop the bolts before the vanes hit since they are so much shorter than an arrow or you will be replacing vanes. I just would not sink a bunch of money into one because just like bows, what is considered top of the line this year will be an outdated antique three years later. But then again that keeps us interested.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:10 PM

I shoot an Excalibur Exomag. It's a recurve which makes putting a new string on a lot easier. Excalibur is known for thier accuracy and they make a quality product. I practice some shots at 50 yards and can hit the target fairly consistently but when I am actually hunting I stay 40 and under. I have taken 50 yard shots on deer that were perfectly broadside before and flat out missed both times so I don't bother anymore .

Quick Reply: Cross Bows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.