Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to choose the correct spineing arrows

Old 12-13-2004, 12:54 PM

Default How to choose the correct spineing arrows

I'm fairly new to archery so I've got aquestion about arrow spine.

How do you select the correct one? I shoot a Fred Bear Quest. It is dual cam, 60# with a 27" drawlength. I have been shooting 2315 lite arrows. I'm having the draw length shortened 2" (was 29" will now be 27") so I'm assuming my arrows are all too long. Since I need to get the arrows cut down I figured I might as well buy new ones and start over. I'm also installing a whisker bisquit.

Thanks for the help,
Peter
Old 12-13-2004, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to choose the correct spineing arrows

Well, before you go spending more money let us know what you are shooting now. I only assume you are now shooting some sort of over draw. Point being that with the bow set for 27" you should be able to eliminate the overdraw and shoot the same arrows with a rest mounted right on the bow. And it really doesn't matter if the arrows are a bit long anyway. The shorter your arrows get the less accurate they tend to be.

I have shot 27-27.5" and up to 60lb-65lbs for quite a few years using arrows with about .500 deflection. That means a Beman or Easton ICS 500. In a Korean Express that means a 200 (they haven't figured out how to mark them right). Or just about any of the cheaper arrows marked 45-60. Most arrows rated like this (45-60) are done so considering an average draw of 29".. Shooting at the length they are right at the top edge of the spine range at 60lbs. Shooting a bit shorter they tend to be more toward the middle of the range.

Different weight points can change dynamic spine also, as can shooting vanes vs. feathers. Vanes change the dynamic spine to the stiff side. Lighter points do the same.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

OOPS, missed about the Whisker Bisquit. It still acts like an overdraw though so same rules apply.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Depending on the brand of arrow you want. But check out www.eastonarchery.com they have and on line shaft selector guide, and one you can download. They also have and arrow tuning & maintenance download. It has almost everything you need to know about tuning your bow and arrows.

Or just visit a pro shop. They will have the proper charts for all the arrows they sell!