Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too much time on my hands??? - With question...

Old 12-13-2004, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Too much time on my hands??? - With question...

Too much time on my hands??? I don't know maybe. Anyway, just for fun I decided to shoot both of my main broadheads this year into an impenetrable object, - cast iron. The heads were a 145 grain four blade muzzy and the other was a five blade innerloc 135 grain. Both were shot of a well tuned bow using 2317 Easton xx78 arrows out of my Darton Tundra Extreme, 70 pounds 31" draw. Here are the results:

Here is the innerloc:

Here is the Muzzy:

As you can see the innerloc ferule pretty much fell apart. The muzzy seemed to hold up well and basically just pushed the insert back into the arrow.

So my question would be this - what would prefer? On one hand the innerloc may actually be better in that it may redirect itself on heavy bone (I have never had one fall apart on deer) while the muzzy may inbed itself. Who really knows though. Let's just assume that for this question that they are both equally accurate.

I should also mention that I have shot many deer with both heads, and have never had any problem with either of them. I think cast iron is a bit harder then any bone out there.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Too much time on my hands??? - With question...

I'll pick the Muzzy any day! I've seen allot of tests kind of like this and the Muzzy always seems to come out on top with its just plain toughness.

I shot a doe one time at 15yds. I was pretty high in a tree. After I shot I heard a loud crack. Louder that I've ever heard on a deer before. She only went 40 yds and crashed. When we boned her out I found a hole right through the middle of her shoulder blade. The arrow passed trough the shoulder blade, broke the rib behind the shoulder blade, and broke the rib on the opposite side of the chest. The arrow fell out just feet later. This was shooting and old Bear Whitetail II, at 65 lbs with 2117's and 125 grain Muzzys. Needless to say I was impressed! I can't imagine what it would take to stop a Muzzy on todays bows!
Old 12-13-2004, 08:03 AM

Muzzy
Old 12-13-2004, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

And that's your Muzzy moment!!
Old 12-13-2004, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would take the muzzy.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Muzzy's are brutal!!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2004, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have always loved Muzzy broadheads!!!! This is one reason!!!!
Old 12-13-2004, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Another reason I've preached and used Muzzy's for over 10 years. I am suprised tho that the Innerloc came apart that much, that's a quality head as well....alot of good ones but Muzzy is certainly one of the best.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am suprised tho that the Innerloc came apart that much, that's a quality head as well....
Me too! I have never had any durability problem with them. Still don't on game, and I would still be confident using them on deer. I believe the innerloc blades are sharper out of the box, and their five blade head leaves very nice blood trails. They fly very nice for me also.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shot a cedar arrow tipped with a glue-on 60's vintage Bear Razorhead into a cast iron engine block once. The entire arrow looked like that Innerloc.[:-] We're pretty fortunate that deer, elk and hogs ain't made outta cast iron. [8D]

Even though the arrow exploded on the engine block, I'm still perfectly at ease when hunting with cedar arrows. So, I'd be perfectly at ease hunting with the Innerloc, if I was you. As for the Muzzy... Them things have always been tough sunovaguns!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.