Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you consider yearlings?

Old 12-12-2004, 01:45 AM

Default What do you consider yearlings?

I see that alot of folks call 1.5 year old deer yearlings and deer that were dropped this year fawns. How can they be fawns if they don't have spots? They are 5-9 months old. How can they be yearlings when they are over 1 year old? That doesn't make sense to me. Around here we have always called yearlings the deer that were dropped this year. A deer is a fawn until it has lost it's spots. What do you guys call them?
Old 12-12-2004, 06:22 AM

Default RE: What do you consider yearlings?

I think most people in my area do call 1 1/2 yr old deer yearlings. But I think you are correct in the proper term for yearlings is deer that were born this year, however, a fawn is a fawn regardless if it has loss it's spots.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer born this last spring/summer are yearlings. Still in the first year of their lives , thus the name yearling.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. yearlings are this years fawns that have lost their spots.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:36 AM

Why would you call a 1 1/2 year old a yearling??........wouldn't it be a yearandahalfling?

Yearling is a fawn from this spring.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Around here we call it a fawn until it is a year old. Then we call them yearlings.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it is unsual to see people generalize when it comes to age in the animal world. It happens all the time in rural areas.

For example, in the horse world, a horse that is under two years old can still be termed a colt. In the dog world, a dog that is under two is often referred to in many circles as a pup. In fact in some competitions they can compete in the puppy division as long as they are under two.

Here deer that are born in the spring are referred to as fawns until the next spring or fall and then they fall into the yearling catagory. The yearling catagory is usually carried until the deer's second year.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:53 AM

The official definition for a yearling is "an animal that is between its first and second year of life."
Old 12-12-2004, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

To me not a shooter
Old 12-12-2004, 09:26 AM

What do you consider yearlings?

Good eatin'

Quick Reply: What do you consider yearlings?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.