Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

whats your opinion

Old 12-12-2004, 03:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: whats your opinion

I agree that most of the bigger names in bows make fine products, but with any bow you'd probably be able to find something that another company has advancements in. I shoot a mathews Q2 XL and couldn't be happier with it before that I shot an Alpine camo hunter, Browning afterburner and a Browning backdraft. I just wasn't happy with a few things on each bow, now I have been happily shooting the Q2 XL for four years. I will try out a Bowtech the next time I am in line for a bow along with Mathews and make a decision on what feels best, but if they are too close to call I am sure that I will stick with a Mathews because I have had good results so far.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Snowman69, You only have so many ways to increase speed, limb travel, string length, or cam thrust. All of these methods reflect ways of increasing string speed from the bow itself. The other way to increase speed is lighter arrows. This is where your bow pays in the long run. When you store energy in the limbs[full draw] that will be transfered to the arrow at release. An arrow can only absorb so much energy, this is your speed, what is left over goes into the bow. This is what tears up limbs and strings. It is also hard on axles and pivot points. Now with all the Limbsaver stuff you can absorb more left over energy, this is good to a point. Let me put it this way, if you hunt from a stand this stuff doesn't get in the way, great. I hunt elk mostly, in thick cover, and anything that can get caught up in cover is bad. So I use heavy arrows to absorb energy and quiet my bow, instead of stuff. As for tunning, a simple rest and set center shot and nock point and you are done. There is no cam timing to mess with on a single cam bow. I have a hatchet cam bow, it is faster than my single cam bows, but it is so hard on strings I have to retune it all the time. I am not going to tell you the high speed bows aren't cool, they are, they just don't serve my purpose. And after what I have said about cover, you would think that I would have one of the short bows, I don't. When I have to move fast up a ridge at 11,000ft. I need a forgiving bow and the shorties are not that. Hope this helps you. Out of the 3, I vote for Mattews.
Gselkhunter
Old 12-12-2004, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

one of my bowhunting mags and mathews hade an article bashing hoyts cam and a 1\2 saying that it wasn't very good and the timing was way off etc. why would a respectable company like mathews do that
Snowman,its all an advertising ploy to make the mathews bows sound much better.Remember you were talking about the one-cam bow being left behind by all the "OTHERS"Mathews is scared and trying to convince everyone the one-cam is still superior.
I personally shoot the bowtech patriot SC and couldent be happier because thats the bow"I" like.Around here HOYT is a top seller with the cam and half, and I am still shooting the single cam,and a bowtech for that matter,hmmmmmmmmm,no one told me what to like and buy.I think everyone who seen my bow shoot is seriously considering the bowtech line.Are these people followers or are they just starting to see the light
Old 12-12-2004, 06:20 PM

Well I just bought an Outback, and I am completely satisfied with it. If the technology improves any more, they will be called crossbows. (No wait, that is already taken isn't it?)