Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your opinion on the easiest killed deer in the woods.

Old 12-11-2004, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Your opinion on the easiest killed deer in the woods.

I am not asking what is the most abundant deer in the woods but rather the one who is most susceptible to being taken by a hunter.

I have said many times that I believe the yearling (1 1/2 years old) buck is the most foolish deer in the herd.

Per a few threads some do not agree.

I would like to know in your opinion what is the most naive mistake prone animal in the deer herd.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: You opinion on the easiest killed deer in the woods.

i agree with the 1 1/2 year old bucks but also the young doe's even though they may be more curious.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would have to say any yearling that has not seen a hunting season! I don't look at a 1.5 year old as a yearling, but as a 1.5 year old! These 1.5 year olds have been thru a hunting season as well a winter. Maybe even shot at Bow and Gun. A yearling has not. Which makes them more of an easier target. A yearling may know danger before its 1st hunting season but not LIFE threatning as in being shot at or grazed by an arrow or bullet. JMO
Old 12-11-2004, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, it's the 1 1/2 year old buck that is the easiest to kill in most areas. Fawns have the protective maternal instinct of a mature Doe to save their butts. Does also generally have other deer with them, meaning more eyes and ears to detect danger. However, a yearling buck (1 1/2 year old) has many thing stacked against him. For one he is a very curious animals, this fact alone will get many killed every season. Then consider buck dispersment, for the first time in his life the yearling buck finds himself looking for a new homerange becuse mom has pushed him off to prevent inbreeding, this unfamilarity of his new surrounding also make him easy to kill. All this going agaist him and then add in the hormones he is experiencing for th first time thrown in will his curiosity and this is what puts most states harvets ratios at 60 to 80% yearling bucks! I think the only guys you are really going to find that are going to argue this are the guys that kill yearling bucks every year! IF, they get past this first year carrying a "rack" they become sooooo MUCH wiser and aer well on their way to becoming a trophy.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

agree with the 1 1/2 year old bucks but also the young doe's even though they may be more curious.
no dought about it i agree.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 1.5 year old buck thats "rutted up"... a doe bleat or two and he's in your lap.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think the only guys you are really going to find that are going to argue this are the guys that kill yearling bucks every year
I'm no way an expert to ARGUE the point but this is from my personal expierences on the land that I hunt! Oh, and I never killed a 1.5 year old buck either!

A 1.5 year old buck thats "rutted up"... a doe bleat or two and he's in your lap.
I don't know where your huntin but It's not like that where I hunt!
Old 12-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

Without a doubt,a fawn (without the presence of its mother) is the easiest kill. But this is really a relative question because it has everything to do with pressure the deer recieve.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:23 PM

A button buck in November is the easiest deer to kill. They are usually not with momma at that time and are trying to act like the big boys. Only dumber.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

But this is really a relative question because it has everything to do with pressure the deer recieve
Hit the nail on the head!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe the question should read what is the easiest deer to kill in you neck of the woods!

Quick Reply: Your opinion on the easiest killed deer in the woods.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.