Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your opinion on the easiest killed deer in the woods.

Old 12-12-2004, 01:19 AM

Default RE: Your opinion on the easiest killed deer in the woods.

A 1.5 year old buck has been run off by the other bucks and isn't tolerated by the does. He is alone and a grunt call makes him think a new buddy may be near. A doe bleat makes him think he might get lucky. They are very call susceptible. Not so with a fawn(we call them yearlings). Does can be super smart. I have not seen any super wary 1.5 year old bucks. I think that is why they account for such a big percent of the yearly harvest.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: You opinion on the easiest killed deer in the woods.

I have said many times that I believe the yearling (1 1/2 years old) buck is the most foolish deer in the herd.

Per a few threads some do not agree.

I would like to know in your opinion what is the most naive mistake prone animal in the deer herd.
The most naive deer in the woods is the nub buck (the true yearling). The 1 1/2 year old is not a yearling!
Old 12-12-2004, 06:48 AM

I think it is laughable that you would say a 1 1/2 year old buck is easier to kill then a motherless fawn.
No matter how laughable you may think it is, in Ohio there is no doubt that a 1 1/2 yr old buck is the easiest of all to kill. I believe the 60% to 80% harvest ratio that Cornfed posted for his state is very close in Ohio as well. I think that it is true for most states, I will look for a source to back that up for those doubters out there.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont give a crap where you are! The nub/button buck is the easiest deer to kill period!
How can you argue that? The button buck is the first to meander through the woods in the afternoon and the last to bed down in the morning. I've bounced acorns off their head to get them to leave from under my stand.

The only reason this type of discussion continues is to make hunters who kill 1 1/2 year old bucks feel like less of a hunter. To try and get them to pass on all younger bucks. To make more trophy bucks so ya'll can get your trophy easier. It's laughable if you ask me. The trophy hunter is the mighty hunter and yet they expect everyone else to make it easier for them to kill a trophy.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

If he was ever forced to hunt some of the battlefields many hunters have as their only option he would have a more realistic viewpoint of deer hunting as opposed to his current myopia
This is one of the biggest lines of BS I have ever heard. If someone only has public land to hunt it is no ones falut but there own. Get up off their lazy butts and go nock on some frickin doors.

Common sense should tell you that the most abundant deer will be the easiet to kill by sheer probabilty alone. If there are 100 1 lb bass in a lake and 2 7 lb lunkers which do you think will be the easiest to catch??
I am not asking by "sheer probabilty" Once again I am not asking what is most abundant. I am saking what deer is most suseptible to being taken by a hunter. Read my question don't mold it into what you want it to say.

Even if that were true which I don't agree it is.......by sheer numbers alone you stand a much better chance of taking a doe or fawn if you are just out to whack a deer........thus making it easier to kill one of them.
Again read above response

Easiest buck I ever killed was a mature 13 pointer...........so that's what gets my vote
What did you shoot that with again??? OH YEA a shotgun[&:] By the way did you ever have him aged? He looks like a 2 1/2 year old around here?

Yea........some magical spell gets cast over them during their second winter as they attend Whitetail University and they suddenly are transformed into an almost unhuntable entity that mere mortals are no match for.
GFoing by your pics in the Taxidermy forum I guess this is true after all.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

The most naive deer in the woods is the nub buck (the true yearling). The 1 1/2 year old is not a yearling!
In my neck of the "rose colored glasses" a fawn is a fawn and a 1 1/2 is a yearling. Different regions have different terms such as a western 4 point is an 8 point around here.

The only reason this type of discussion continues is to make hunters who kill 1 1/2 year old bucks feel like less of a hunter. To try and get them to pass on all younger bucks. To make more trophy bucks so ya'll can get your trophy easier. It's laughable if you ask me. The trophy hunter is the mighty hunter and yet they expect everyone else to make it easier for them to kill a trophy.
This has nothing to do with that. You and Atlas like to take things out of context and read what you want to read. Not what has been written.

Once again shoot what ever you want. A Nub, 4 point, 30 point whatever shoot what makes you happy.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:51 AM

ORIGINAL: BOWFANATIC

The only reason this type of discussion continues is to make hunters who kill 1 1/2 year old bucks feel like less of a hunter. To try and get them to pass on all younger bucks.

Agreed.........this is just another ego thread by Buckeye. He wants SOOOOOOO BAD for everyone to think he is the almighty hunter that starts these threads constantly. He started a "dream team" thread in the contest board hoping everyone would put him on it .........and in here we get the chants about mature buck this and bow only that and what I do is harder and the way I hunt is better..........blah, blah, blah.

All this from a guy who is hunting low pressured bucks on private farm lands

To make more trophy bucks so ya'll can get your trophy easier. It's laughable if you ask me. The trophy hunter is the mighty hunter and yet they expect everyone else to make it easier for them to kill a trophy.

Talk about funny

The best part about a "trophy" is just that.........it is unique and not easily obtained. A "trophy" is a once in a blue moon buck that when people see they are shocked that a buck like that was walking around where you took him. If no one ever shot a young buck and mature bucks were walking all over the place what would be so special about shooting one??

Why would "trophy" hunters want everyone else to make their task easier? Isn't that the true enjoyment behind hunting mature bucks.......the fact that they are so difficult to find and even harder to kill??

Guess not.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Agreed.........this is just another ego thread by Buckeye. He wants SOOOOOOO BAD for everyone to think he is the almighty hunter that starts these threads constantly. He started a "dream team" thread in the contest board hoping everyone would put him on it .........and in here we get the chants about mature buck this and bow only that and what I do is harder and the way I hunt is better..........blah, blah, blah.

All this from a guy who is hunting low pressured bucks on private farm lands
It has nothing to do with if I would be placed on the list. I know who I think the best big buck hunters on the board is an dwanted to know what others thought. It has nothig to do with me.

How does Rack - Attack kill big NY public land bucks almost every year with his bow then Atlas??

Answer that ole great messiah of whitetail knowledge.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:09 AM

I am not asking what is the most abundant deer in the woods but rather the one who is most susceptible to being taken by a hunter.
Button buck, without a doubt. Yearlings bucks (1.5 yr olds) act like 2.5 yr olds or even smarter in some states due to intense hunting pressure.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:20 AM

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

This is one of the biggest lines of BS I have ever heard. If someone only has public land to hunt it is no ones falut but there own. Get up off their lazy butts and go nock on some frickin doors.
So you admit that you NEED private honey holes to succeed? Don't like a challenge huh?

I am not asking by "sheer probabilty" Once again I am not asking what is most abundant. I am saking what deer is most suseptible to being taken by a hunter. Read my question don't mold it into what you want it to say.
I read your question..........you just want to mold the answer into what you want to hear. No matter how you slice it if fawns and does outnumber 1 1/2 yr old bucks 20 to 1 then you stand the best chance of seeing and killing one of the 20 before you kill the 1. Put those 21 deer in the woods full of hunters and that 1 buck stands a good chance of survival.......while a bunch of the others will not.

I hunted DEC managed lands this year that kept stats on every deer killed. Out of 50 deer killed (last time I was there) there were 37 does and 13 bucks taken. Numbers alone make the does and little ones easier to kill. To quote the DEC officer at the check station......."Kill us some does PLEASE.....They are like rats around here"

So we did. My brother killed 2 does and I killed a buck and doe........just doing are part in the management plan

What did you shoot that with again??? OH YEA a shotgun[&:] By the way did you ever have him aged? He looks like a 2 1/2 year old around here?
I killed him at 20 yards with a gun that has a range of 50...........Oh the shame

If you are trying to make me feel less about my buck you are REALLY, REALLY barking up the wrong tree

He was aged at 3 1/2.

Going by your pics in the Taxidermy forum I guess this is true after all.
Because I don't wait for older bucks??

I post my pics in the taxidermy forum because that is what I have on my wall at this time. I usually keep the last 2-3 years on the wall and replace them as new stuff comes in.............what you fail to see when looking down your nose at everyone is that if you had any idea of the conditions I hunt in 90+% of the time you would have a better grasp as to what's on my wall and what it took to get it there. I have killed 8 deer in the last 3 years and 5 of them are bucks (1 mature). Our state averages are 11% and 14% success rates for bow and gun respectively.........and only one deer was taken on private land which I haven't been back to since.......too easy

Quick Reply: Your opinion on the easiest killed deer in the woods.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.