Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2004 MN Bowkill

Old 12-10-2004, 02:37 PM

Default 2004 MN Bowkill

It was the Saturday after thanksgiving and I had decided to go out and try to fill my doe tag even though I still had a buck tag unfilled. My reasoning was that Minnesota's 2nd gun season was winding down so the bucks had been harassed quite well for the last few weeks and the primary rut was over. So, I figured what better time than this to harvest a doe.

That morning I had decided to go out at about 10am and do a little stalking/scouting. The conditions were perfect for stalking, we were getting a heavy, wet snow and the wind was out of the west at about 10mph. In addition, I wanted to scout some new territory for next season. I would then go and sit on stand for the remainder of the evening. So, I grabbed my gear and an extra set of dry clothes and headed on my way.

Upon first entering the woods I realized just how perfect the conditions were for a stalk, I couldn't even hear myself walking! Of course, much to my surprise the two does thirty yards away sensed me and bolted. So I continued on finding some promising sign for next year, however I didn't see any more deer. I decided to finish up scouting and sit for the rest of the evening.

It was now about 2:00pm and I was soaked. So I went to my truck and changed into my dry clothes. I then crossed the road to the other side of the property where one of my stands were waiting. I had to cross through an apple orchard to get to it and I knew that with this first heavy snowfall deer could be out feeding out in the orchard at any of the day. So, I was on high alert for an opportunity to present itself at anytime. As I came to the top of a knoll I spotted a big mature doe feeding in the orchard, but there was nothing between me and her to mask my movement. Suddenly, she decided to walk off towards the woodline as if something had made her uneasy. She walked behind a small Island of trees and I quickly closed the distance between her and I. Soon I found myself within thirty yards, but without a shot because the tall weeds and saplings that had masked my movement were now preventing any possible shot. I knew now that I could not get any closer directly so I decided to attempt an ambush. I knew she would go one of two ways; either into the woods or she would feed along the treeline, so I took my only option and got out in front of her as if she was going to feed along the treeline. Much to my dismay, after about fifteen minutes I realized that she was not coming.

By this time my stand was just fifty yards into the woods from where I had set up my ambush, so I proceeded to my stand. As I was just getting settled in, I grabbed for my neck gaiter that I had shoved down the front of my vest for the walk in and it was not there! I thought oh no! I dropped it somewhere along the way. Well, by this time it was getting pretty cold out and the wind was blowing about 20mph right in my face and it was still snowing heavily. I decided I would get down and go and find the neck gaiter and set up on the ground in the orchard. So, I began packing up and decided to search down in my coat rather than the vest - found it!

I then sat back down and looked at my watch, 3:20pm. I planned on getting some action soon. Approximately ten minutes later I see a deer headed my way. At this point it's about 60 yards away and closing the distance. I stand up and grab my bow. As it gets closer I realize it has antlers. I started thinking oh no, probably just a fork horn. However, as he got closer I realized it was not a fork horn, but rather a decent eight. So I began planning my shot which was going to be either ten yards in front of me or twety five yards in front of me. Well, he decided to make it difficult and take the twenty five yard path. As soon as he got behind some trees he stopped and I readied my bow to draw as soon as he started to move again. He took a step and I drew. After a couple more steps I stopped him, settled the pin and let it fly. I watched as the arrow sailed in and stuck him right through the shoulder. He proceeded to run about forty yards plowing the ground the whole way and dropped.

It was a very exciting day and I realized that I wouldn't have gotten this buck had I either shot the doe I was stalking or if I hadn't found my neck gaiter.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 2004 MN Bowkill

Congrats!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2004, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

Nice Buck! Talk about putting it in the boiler room! Good shot!
Old 12-10-2004, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

A buck even Paul Bunyan would be proud to have taken.

Congratulations.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking buck. Congrats!
Old 12-10-2004, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good looking buck!!
Old 12-10-2004, 03:34 PM

Congrats on the buck-great story
Old 12-10-2004, 04:12 PM

Good looking buck. Congrats. Will we ever get some snow to stick on the ground.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrates
Old 12-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats a nice buck. What is a neck gaiter? A buck came by me the other day with a bloody hole in its shoulder right where your deer was hit. apperantly someones arrow missed the vitals. I only mention this so a lost deer don,t happen to you. move that shot back about 4 inches. Nice job.

Quick Reply: 2004 MN Bowkill

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.