Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Poll - Best time of day?

Old 12-08-2004, 11:11 PM

Default Poll - Best time of day?

First off I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas!!!

I would like to know people's experiences on what time of day they see the most activity. This question contains two parts.
- What part of the country are you from along with what time(s)?

For myself, I live in Tennessee and tend to have better luck in the late evening or mid to late morning (9-10)

Thanks and good hunting!!
jt
Old 12-08-2004, 11:23 PM

Default RE: Poll - Best time of day?

I usually hunt farmland bordering a large forest. I seem to have the best luck in the early morning intercepting their path on the way back to the forest after feeding on the crop. If i am hunting in the evening i need to set up about 300 yards back on the trail in order to have a shot in legal shooting time. Can catch them out in the field in the morning but not in the evening.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt Eastern Pennsylvania and tend to see more deer in the early morning hours (when it is light for you smart-allecks out there). The area I hunt receives alot of hunting pressure so the deer do not typically show there faces until after it gets dark.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im from Ontario Canada and I usually see more in the early morn as well.I like to get them as they are heading back to their bedding area.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

NW WI - during rut - 10:00am - 2:00pm.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Central Illinois. I see the most action during the afternoon. Most spost I hunt aren't all that large so it's hard to hunt in the mornings. When I do hunt them, I usually only see deer the first hour of daylight.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

Southwest Minnesota. Most activity in the last hour of light!
Old 12-09-2004, 09:37 AM

I hunt Maine and New Hampshire. 90+% of the activity I see is in the first two hours of daylight and the last hour and a half.

There are some exceptions though, Cloudy & dreary days( any time of day) pressured deer (if there jumpped they move). Mornings and evening are with natural deer movement.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Central NY here- I have overwhelmingly more success in the afternoons. Anytime in the last 3 hours of the day, but especially that last 30-45 minutes! I just don't do very well during morning hunts.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:53 AM

I live in Washington, but hunt Oregon. I usually see more activity in the early morning, almost legal shooting time, to noon.
Here is an example of the activity in my area:

It's 0 dark 30 and I am on my way to my tree stand. I get there and it is all cockeyed on the tree, like some one was trying to steal it. I pull my flashlight out and look at the ground for tracks. It is all tore up, elk tracks upon elk tracks. So I find some cover and wait about half an hour. Start bugling. I get no reply, but 2 minutes later this 6X busts into my clearing. My hunting partners and I have been after this guy for years, but he always eludes us. Big sweeping rack, nice high points. Beautiful animal. Anyway. I knock an arrow, but there isnt enouhg light for my pins. I cant see. So I wait. It's almost light now. He gets tired of waiting and goes off into the next clearing. I decide to follow. As I get closer to the clearing, I am hearing antlers crashing. I pick my way to the edger of the clearing and the sight before me is amazing to say the least.

This clearing is about 300 yards across and about 400 yards long. In the middle are 4 bulls sparing. On the other side is a huge bull with 3 cows. So there are a total of 6 bulls and 3 cows. I look down toward the end of the clearing and see 2 big bucks a for and a spike, and with them are 8 does. My heart is pounding. I turn my attention the the 4 sparing in the middle. They are really tearing up the ground. One breaks from the group and takes off at a dead run, lowers his head and sticks his rack into the ground "plowing", slides to a stop and does it again.

It is now light enough to shoot. So the one closest to me are the ones in the middle. But they are 100 yards into the clearing. Evert one seems to be concentrated on them so I SLOWLY make my way out of my spot to get closer. No one is pay me any attention. Closer, closer til I am 50 yards out. I glance downto the end and the spike is on alert, so I freeze. Still no one notices but the spike. Appearantly he didnt like what he saw, snorted and every animal took off like a shoot, right into the watershed, where it is illegal to even step foot into.

Which is totally ok with me, I was sick to my stomach from the adrenaline rush anyway, doubt I could have kept steady to take a shot. So I guess this answers 2 different threads, "Which is your close but no cigar story" and "Best time of day".

Quick Reply: Poll - Best time of day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.