Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoot it or dont shoot it???

Old 12-07-2004, 08:45 AM

Default Shoot it or dont shoot it???

Hey i got a question for ya. I am new to the whole bow hunting thing and still have to fill my tag. I went out and bought a steal cam, put it out on sat. night and came back to hunt sunday moring. Well the roll of film was full. Anyways. There was pictures of 2 differnet does, a button buck, what i think is a 6-7 pointer and a one horn buck. My question is, if that one horn buck walks by do i shoot, or wait for a bigger 2 horned buck. The only thing is i hunt in a metro unit of wisconsin, and the deer are mostly night movers, i have hunted as much as i can this year and have only seen two does, which i missed at 25 yards, i got the fever!!!

Anyway let me know what ya think. Here is a pic of the one horn.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:47 AM

Default RE: Shoot it or dont shoot it???

Here is the pic of the bigger buck i got on film. Might help in factoring in weather to shoot or not. The pic does not show the whole rack, but it is what i got.

Let me know what ya think
Thanks

Old 12-07-2004, 09:19 AM

Ultimately, it is your call.
My personal opinion would be to let both walk and try again for a doe, they will eat just
fine. The small 1 horn is only a 1-1.5 year old and probably lost the other horn in a small skirmish. I would let him go. The other deer is hard to tell but it too looks young.
If you want big bucks you have to let them grow.
Practice a lot and work on calm breathing exercises to calm the "fever". In thru the nose slowly out thru the mouth. Being in good Physical shape can help a lot with the "fever" too. Push ups, sit ups, a little jogging or walking a few miles on the treadmill or in the woods can really help you to control that nervous feeling.
I practice mentally visualizing a shot on a big MONSTER buck all the time in my head. Visualizing it before you are in that situation will help.
My advise is to not shoot any buck until you can calm down. How bad would you feel if the "fever" caused you to only wound one of these bucks?

Good luck!
Old 12-07-2004, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

Shoot whatever the deer gods send your way. Dont be picky, be thankful! Drop em!

just my two cents. I two hunt in a metro area and its hard to see deer! so take what u can to fill the freezer!

Jim
Old 12-07-2004, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

To any beginner I recommend shooting whatever deer gives you a good chance first. Don't force any shots, but you have to start somewhere so in the beginning take what you can get. Depending on ability and even more the area you hunt you could wait years and years for a big one to come by. Shoot and gain the experience, the time will come when you can then be picky if you so choose.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

To any beginner I recommend shooting whatever deer gives you a good chance first. Don't force any shots, but you have to start somewhere so in the beginning take what you can get. Depending on ability and even more the area you hunt you could wait years and years for a big one to come by. Shoot and gain the experience, the time will come when you can then be picky if you so choose.
My thoughts exactly...
Old 12-07-2004, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

If any of them come in and offer you a good clean shot run'em through.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

If its your first deer then don't be picky. Shoot whatever comes by. Its a great feeling.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Let that arrow fly right thru the boiler room. You will feel alot better about the kill when your eating that back strap and some corn on the cob.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:22 AM

Once you have one under your belt your confidence will go through the roof. Even if you only get a button buck, you will be much more seasoned for when the big one comes along. I was 12 when I killed my first deer (shotgun), and the amount of adrenaline is almost toxic when you are walking up on the first one. I still get quite a rush 16 years later, but I can control the buck fever much better now.

No matter what you shoot, you should feel good about it. And believe me, I don't care what anyone says, a very young deer (especially does) tastes much better than one 3 or 4 1/2 years old. And, around here there are so many deer that you can get as many permits as you want, as long as you kill no more than 2 antlered, so evidentally the DNR thinks they need thinned out.

IMO shoot whatever walks by, try to double lung it, shoot no more than 30 yards (unless your bow is super fast or super quiet), control your breathing, climb slowly out of the stand, tag it, field dress it being very careful not to cut the stomach [:'(] (been there, done that, it is NOT a pretty sight!)

If you shoot the 1 antler deer you will have some darn good eatin'

NOW GO GET'EM!

Quick Reply: Shoot it or dont shoot it???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.