Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoot it or dont shoot it???

Old 12-08-2004, 12:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shoot it or dont shoot it???

You know, human beings are the only predators in this planet that regularly target the biggest, baddest and strongest of the prey that we choose to hunt. No other predator besides us targets the healthiest of the heard. They go for the yearlings, sick, injured, or old and worn out animals.

Just something to think about.

No matter how long I boil the antlers they still don't get tender enough to eat. Shoot them and eat them.

Having said that if given the choice between a basket racked buck and a 160 inch buck the 160 incher will get stuck.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:19 PM

You'll have plenty of time to be picky after you get that first kill under your belt. That will also go a long way in helping with the "fever". JMO

Deadsmple
Old 12-11-2004, 04:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree if it's your first deer or your looking to fill the freezer then by all mean's take him .But if you feel your looking to get yourself a decent rack for the wall then I guess you'll just have to wait .

nubo
Old 12-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I totally concur with most of the posts above. I would probably be classified as a trophy hunter today, but I certainly cut my teeth on my fair share of smaller bucks. It helps to overcome the jitters later when the big boy does walk by, and to enjoy the sport as you're developing into a mature bowhunter -- and I'm not saying that all "mature" bowhunters only go after big racks. Maybe more "seasoned" would be a more appropriate adjective.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another aspect to toss out is how often you get the chance or even SEE deer. Many of the "hold out for bigger" folks see MANY deer a year or a day. In some areas, simply having ONE deer in bow range per season is good.

You say you hunted alot and have had chances at two does. I would be looking to shoot the first legal deer you get the chance at. I haven't shot tons of deer, probably around 10 total, but I still take pretty much every legal shot chance I get. I won't shoot a little guy early in the year, but I might towards the end if the freezer is empty. If it has visible anterls, then the arrow is gonna be flying!

--Bob
Old 12-13-2004, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shoot it or don't shoot it???

I've hunted for years to get a nice buck. You need to get experience shooting live animals with a bow. It's not at all like shooting a target! I've shot three smaller bucks and I am now to the point where it's got to go on the wall for a buck to be a shooter. I still shot does for meat.

For your first deer don't be too fussy. After that first one you can keep upping your standards if thats what you want to do. If I where you I'd take what you can get!
Old 12-13-2004, 08:23 AM

Default RE: Shoot it or don't shoot it???

I think it is good for any up and coming bowhunter to take all shot opportunities on small bucks during those first few years. It will really help you stay calm at the moment of truth. I've killed my fair share of dinks and would do it all again.