Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stealth Digital Cameras question....

Old 12-07-2004, 08:11 AM

Default Stealth Digital Cameras question....

A buddy of mine wants to get this camera for his dad for X-mas, but doesn't know if it's any good or not. Do any of you have any experience with these? Are they any good and/or worth the $$?

Thanks for the info
Old 12-07-2004, 08:26 AM

Default RE: Stealth Digital Cameras question....

JUNK!!!!!!! Plain and simple!

I had the Stealth Cam DIGRC-XTR and this thing was a waste of money. Not only did it eat batteries (4 AA's in about 4 days), but it was also very very slow to take pictures. You HAVE to have some type of food in front of the camera in order to get a picture. If the deer just walk past the unit, it won't load up and take a picture fast enough, and you will get a blank picture! The camera took decent pics, but not what a 3.1 megapixel camera should, and the manual shutter button on the top is not secured very well, a raccoon ripped mine off the top! The unit is easy to use, easy to set-up, and easy to operate, it just is a piece of junk otherwise!
Old 12-07-2004, 08:32 AM

I guess I'll pose another question too. If you are looking at this and have had some really good luck with another camera...35mm or digital....can you post what type of camera you've had that you really like.

Thanks again.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:37 AM

I have the 1.3 mg cam and was happy with it up until the weather started getting cold. It seems when the temps get down around 30 degrees the camera will cycle but the flash won't flash resulting in black pics. the good thing is it dosn't waste film but the bad thing is it dosn't work and it uses batteries. I addressed the issue with stealth and they've been useless as far as reciffying the situation. Most everyone who's dealt with the customer service dept at stealth can tell you the same thing. they do not stand behind their products.

I'd consider a cuddleback or a homebrew.

My next cam will definately not be a stealth!
Old 12-07-2004, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the 1.3 mg cam and was happy with it up until the weather started getting cold. It seems when the temps get down around 30 degrees the camera will cycle but the flash won't flash resulting in black pics.
I have the same problem with mine..if you plan on using it below 30 degrees ...forget it your wasting your time.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:34 AM

If I was going to buy a digital trailcam I'd avoid the Stealths like the plague. I hear nothing but bad things about the digital Stealths. However, I've been using the el cheapo $60 WalMart 35mm Stealth Cam for two seasons now, and it's worked well. I use Energizer 1850 mA-hr rechargeables in it, and they last for 3 weeks strong. The pictures come out very clear. The flash area is a bit small for the night-time pics, and therefore I usually get a few pics of vacant woods. I could probably remedy this by putting some tape on the sensor to narrow down the motion sensing range, which would delay the picture triggering until the critters are inside the flash field.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd throw in my experience with the cheap Stealth in case you're looking for a budget model. They're a lot of fun.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried the 3MP Stealth Digital and it sucked!!! JUNK!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the 1.3MP Stealth and had problems. Returned it and now have the 3.0MP model that they gave me in return. Not super confident that it will be any better, but will give it a try. I would really like to try a Cuddeback - they are said to have very good better battery life. If the 3.0 MP version is junk also, I will be requesting a refund and getting a cuddeback.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:59 PM

I dont have the digital stealth, but do have the film stealth. Mine has performed flawlessly for a year and a half now, but I know others who think they are nothing but junk and problems, and still others who think they are great. In all honesty I think it is the luck of the draw. You may get a good one or may get a bad one, and if you get a good one like I did, well then you got a steal for the money................agree with the cold weather stuff though.

If you want to try one, just buy it from someplace you know you can return it, and hope you get one of the "good" ones.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:25 AM
Fork Horn

i wanted the stealth because it was cheaper but a lot of people said they had problems with them. i bought a leaf river and love it. no more film and i can tell what's around my stand the same day i paid $330 for mine but they are cheaper now. $319 at jesses and around $299 on ebay. i want another one for xmas but i don't think it's going to happen this xmas