Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Owls in my hunting spot HELP!!

Old 12-09-2004, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Owls in my hunting spot HELP!!

How tall are you silentasassin? They may have thought you were a mouse
6'1 - 250 lbs that'd be a pretty big mouse....huh

Elitist trad owls attacking compound shootin' rats hanging in trees.
I wouldn't doubt it if you put them up to it[:@]
Old 12-09-2004, 12:55 PM

A few years ago I was walking along a low lying stream in the rain when I noticed a Barred owl up in a pine about 20 yards away starring at me. Though it was cool and kept walking. A little while later, I see the thing as it is landing in a tree to the side of me and it was starring at me again. Same thing happened for about twenty minutes. It was following me as I went? I was scouting for bow season and was in regular street clothes, so it was not like it was following the whites of my eyes or light face.

Anyway, I later hung a treestand in that general area and hunted it about two months later. One morning while I climbed into the treestand, it was still dark, and as I sat down, there was a whoosh, whoosh, whoosh sound right by my head that scarred the crap out of me. Everything went quiet. About a minute later it happened again and my hat was knocked off. Now I don't know if it was the same owl, but it was a barred owl that landed in a tree about 15 yards away. I stood up waved at it and it flew off. Still had to climb down and get my hat off the ground.

I read in I believe the Michigan Outdoors magazine a few years back, about barred owls being very territorial and the article had a few stories about people being dive bombed by them. Well, that's my story.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:22 PM

I wonder if you should take your badmitten racket out their and hit the birddy Seriousley I have been harassed by them at my jeep while changing clothes I think he planed it as he started doing fly bys when I was changing pants, talk about bad timing ,can't move vary fast when your pants are down by your ankels