Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone else hunt with a back tension release?

Old 12-06-2004, 08:53 PM

Default Anyone else hunt with a back tension release?

Or am I the only fool? Actually I have been using a back tension release for deer hunting for about 10 years now and I would never go back. After 3D season I used to try and switch from my back tension release to a regular release for hunting. I shot OK but shoot much better with the BT release and the shot is so pure! Also used to worry about the rope attachment taking too long to attach to the string in a hunting situation but I solved that by simply keeping it attached at all times. I use a Carter that does have a light trigger, I think a Stan or other rotating release might be too much. Just curious, have never heard of anyone else doing this but I am sure there are some.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:59 PM

Default RE: Anyone else hunt with a back tension release?

I have no idea what a back release is... mind posting a pic?
Old 12-06-2004, 10:32 PM

Idaho, there are many styles of back tension releases and they all look different. The difference between a back tension release and a normal release is that you do not consciously trigger the release. Instead of using your finger to pull a trigger you squeeze your back muscles while aiming to make the release go off. It sounds strange to those who have not heard of them but it can make your shooting more accurate by eliminating the tension cause by anticipating the shot. When I shoot I do not know exactly when the release is going to go off so I can focus on aiming.

Here is a link if you want to see some:
http://www.carterenterprises.com/products/target4.htm
Old 12-07-2004, 05:08 AM
Typical Buck

Blodg, I don't use a back tension release, but I shoot my release with back tension to pull the trigger. Works great! Slapping at a trigger or slow pulling a trigger can cause you to move the bow off target, as you know. I wouldn't change a thing if I were you, you have the cleanest form of release going. But if in the off season you want to play. Put your finger on the trigger and tighten the the muscle and the arrow is gone. Now I am using a Martin Quick Silver release[way old], I had to set the trigger with a very light pull to get it to work right. But it works for me.
Gselkhunter
Old 12-07-2004, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I shoot I do not know exactly when the release is going to go off
For hunting, not me, mainly because of the reason you stated. They are great for practice though.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

I've always thought about it. How does it work in cold weather?
Old 12-07-2004, 09:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: gselkhunter

Blodg, I don't use a back tension release, but I shoot my release with back tension to pull the trigger. Works great! Slapping at a trigger or slow pulling a trigger can cause you to move the bow off target, as you know. Gselkhunter

Exactly. All releases should be shot as so.