Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Questions about surplus British chemical suit from Sportsman's guide

Old 12-05-2004, 11:46 AM
Spike

Default Questions about surplus British chemical suit from Sportsman's guide

I'll try to make this brief. I just purchased a British chemical suit from the Sportsman's Guide(on recommendation from this forum 2 weeks back). Has anyone had any issues with this product--other than the velcro. I''ll give the scenario:--I went hunting yesterday afternoon--about 1/2 hour before dark, I noticed 3-4 does about 100 yds out. I grunted--they started to make a circle toward me. The direction they were coming from was behind me, so I had the tree to protect me. I should mention that I was about 18 ft in the air. Also, the wind was in my favor to the direction of the doe movement. All of a sudden they bolted when they got to 50 yds heading straight toward me. I chalked this up to some movement on my part. about 15 minutes later, after using my doe bleat, I heard some movement to my right--all of a sudden a huge crash-and was never able to identify what it was.(very thick brush) The wind was also in my favor. I highly doubt scent was an issue.
My question--is this suit too visible-Did I stick out like a sore thumb?-(it probable is more of an early season suit--military style cammo)--Should I use a UV blocker? Experiences with this suit would be very helpful.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Questions about surplus British chemical suit from Sportsman's guide

I would say that camo pattern had absolutely NOTHING to do with it.If you are sitting still,you should be able to sit their with blue jeans and a plaid shirt and go unoticed.If you move,regardless of camo,it becomes much easier to be spotted.

From your story it doesn't sound as if you were spotted but rather there was something in the area,or was something that left a scent they did not like.May not have been you but something,or someone else.Maybe the crash you heard was from a coyote or something to that effect.

I have had the grunts and bleats spook deer in certain situations,usually when they are real close and can identify where the sound comes from and there is no deer there but some strange looking person hanging on the side of a tree.

Back to the camo.I actually use a chemical suit with the plain old green army camo pattern and have had nothing but great results while wearing it.I believe it to be one of the best patterns for all year hunting.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Questions about surplus British chemical suit from Sportsman's guide

I've used both the US and British versions ,
both worked very well and I hunt from the ground . In fact , I was wearing a British one 5 years ago when 4 does walked up to within feet of me . They do have a noticeable odor when first unwrapped , did you air it out for a week or two outside before hunting in it ? I rinse mine out with Sportwash in the tub and then hang outside to air dry . Maybe something or someone left a smell out there that's spooking them .
Old 12-06-2004, 10:29 AM
Spike

Thanks for the imput gentlemen. No, I did not air it out prior to use. Pretty dumb !! I will do that after work tonight, as I plan to use it again this coming Saturday. I'm 99% positive it was a deer crashing. Do you give any credance to the UV thing?
Old 12-06-2004, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

i got one too but miss placed it somewhere in my messy garage...I also had excellent results the first 2 years i used it, for the money you cant beat it!!
Old 12-06-2004, 11:44 AM

I think there was something going on in the area. Some kind of scent or something. But, I don't think it was attributed to you at all. The camo is fine, and I know they eliminate your scent. Mine works awesome. I have the U.S. style. Don't give up on it. You will end up liking it.