Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Aggrevating Situation

Old 12-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Aggrevating Situation

I'll start off by saying that our hunting property is surrounded on 3 sides by a single piece of property, and some great looking property too. This morning I went out to set in one of my favorite stand sites. I had hung my treelounge down in a little draw on the north side of our property. The easiest and quietest entry to this stand involves a walk along the fenceline that separates our property from the neighbors. The draw that I hunt runs east and west the fenceline runs north and south, and my stand is hanging approx. 100-125 yards off the fenceline. The draw ends just before it meets the fence. On the other side (the neighbors side) there is one large pecan tree that sits just a few feet off the fenceline, the rest of the property on his side all around this area is pasture. So, after setting all morning without any luck, I decide to go back to the house. As I walk back to the fenceline and start back toward my truck, I glance over and see two stands hanging in the lone pecan tree across the fence. The stands are hanging side by side and facing our property[:@]. Now, I'm not one to get mad at just anything and I tried to reason about why someone would do this when they've got the rest of the property to hunt? Why would they hang their stands right over the fence? I can't come up with anything. The tree that the stands are in is less than 15 feet on their side, which is fine, but they are obviously planning on shooting a deer that is across the fence on our side! Why would someone be so blatent about it? What would you do? I don't have much time to be out there so I thought I'd write a note and leave it on the tree with my Phone # on it to see if they'll call me. Then I could question them about this whole situation. I wonder if they've already shot deer from that tree? By the way, we lease this land, so I don't know the neighbor personally, but I do know he doesn't hunt and untill now, I didn't know he let anyone else hunt.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:26 AM
dig
Spike

Default RE: Aggrevating Situation

are there not enough deer?? with your stand only 100 yards from the pasture are you not using his land somehow?maybe as a funnel?
Old 12-04-2004, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe the stands are on your side of the tree to keep the tree between him and the deer. Also sounds like he might be hunting with his son or a camera man. Not that that has any bearing. I'm sure once they see you constantly walking the fence line to your stand they'll find another spot.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I'm not trying to keep any guy from taking his kid out hunting. But, at the same time I figure he's got all the rest of that property to set up on. I'm not trying to play high and mighty, I just don't understand someone setting up in a tree on the fenceline and facing our property. There aren't any deer traveling on the opposite side of their tree, it's a wide open field that runs approx 1/2 mile to the road. There is a large stand of oak's between my stand and the fence, the deer filter up the draw and feed on the acorns. I've got my stand positioned between the bedding area and the oak trees which is all on my property. Their stands are on the fence facing the oak grove. I guess there's nothing I can do unless I catch them shooting across the fence which is obviously what they're planning to do.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:44 PM

when i'm hunting i would shoot a deer on my friends neighbors land but they are ok with it but not to hunt deep in there land unless tracking a deer i shot . i think if they are not on the land it's ok i'm sure they see deer on bouth side of the fence .
Old 12-05-2004, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

well if you really have a problem with it you could always set up a stand on the other side of the fence across from their tree stands
Old 12-05-2004, 03:36 PM

Chill out. I have three stands within 10-30 yards of the edge of my property line but that doesn't mean I intend to shoot a deer on the other side. Never have, never will. I have the stands there because they are good areas in which deer use as travel routes. I am this close to the property line because my area has a limited number of trees that are big enough to hang a stand 15-18ft. Could this be the case here? If not, so be it. This is called property rights.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our lease (all hardwoods) surrounds on 3 sides a 5 acre lot. At the 2 upper corners of the lot are permanent stands right on the line. Opening day of gun I was about 200 yds off one corner. On the way out, I saw 2 adult hunters on one stand facing out into the woods on our land at a ridge/funnel that gets no closer than 75 yds to them- not even pretending to hunt their land.

I told them they were certainly welcome to trail and recover any deer they shot on their property that went onto ours. I also told them that if the bloodtrail indicated the deer was on our side when shot, not only could they not recover, but would also be in court for trespass. We know for sure of 3 times in the last last 2 years of them shooting and recovering deer on the ridge - bloodtails and gut piles were obvious.

They were not happy but it is not right they are hunting our property with their methods.

Steve
Old 12-05-2004, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

The way I see it hunting the property line is probably where they are seeing deer. As far as shooting over the fence, well, that's a gray area. Deer do not belong to anyone and put yourself in the similar situation. A huge buck is just over the fence on another property. He is broadside 20 yards away what would you do? Let's all be honest with ourselves. I am betting 99% of us are going to let the arrow fly. It's a tough call but you may be able to work something out that would help everyone involved out.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:59 AM

I had some idiots do that this year at my grand-folks in Ohio. The neighbors gave the visitors permits to hunt, but they are hunting a fence row right next to our bean field and woods (via groundblind). We took care of it though....

Quick Reply: Aggrevating Situation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.