Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Aggrevating Situation

Old 12-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Aggrevating Situation

Who really cares if someone shoots a deer on your property. Obviously, nobody wants trespassers wandering around, but if they're hunting from their own ground, and shoot into yours, who really cares?

I just think you're all being greedy. The deer are free ranging animals, owned by nobody. Let's not get carried away with acting like because we own the property, we own the animals.

Let the guys hunt in peace. If you really like to hunt that area, go do it. If you screw up his hunt enough times, he won't be back. Use your skill and cunning to tag out. Too many guys try to monopolize on the good hunting spots and it's just bad for everyone.

We're all just squirrels trying to get a nut. We have three or four months of deer season to work with - they won't be there every day. I just see no reason for the greed, given the liberal opportunities we're all given with archery, blackpowder, rifle, crossbow, shotgun seasons.

If it were me, I would have asked you first, but lots of guys aren't so thoughtful.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:54 AM

If it were me, I would have asked you first, but lots of guys aren't so thoughtful.
uh yeah. that would be a good idea. i try to talk to anyone who is hunting on neighboring property. i like to know where people are, especially during firearms season and i like to know who they are.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I just don't understand the difference in tresspasing and shooting a deer on someone elses property. I thought those were the same thing. Apperantly some guys don't. Can anyone explain the difference to me?

quicksilver, I don't feel as though I'm being greedy. I pay a good amount of money to have hunting privilages on this property. Why would I want someone shooting deer off of the property that hasn't paid? Obviously, if the deer was on their side of the fence I wouldn't be upset.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:39 AM

JMO. . . .BIG bucks or not NEVER NEVER shoot at an animal that is not on your proptery. The guys who put their stands on the fence are taking big ethical and legal liberties should they in fact shoot one over the fence. It is an unwritten rule that you never shoot towards a fence line, at least for smoke poles, perhaps the bow hunting ethics are different, but should not be.

Come to my area and track an animal on my land with out receiving premission first and see what happens.

For around here you shoot well of the fence line to insure he drops before crossing the property line. Some guys will not allow you to enter their land to track even if you ask.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is the land that you leased posted. If so then I would probably have a talk with the guy. If it's not posted than you've just leased the rights to hunt on it not make the decision on who gets to hunt it. If you have exclusive hunting rights I would talk to the landowner about posting it.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, the property is posted. I was under the assumption that when you leased a piece of property, those that leased and only those that leased had the right to grant hunting privalages to others. Last year, the property owner contacted me in regards to letting a man who runs cattle on the property hunt. The property owner said that the decision was totally up to us, because we have the hunting rights. He gave me the gentlemans phone number and asked me to give him a call. I did and the guy said he was wondering if we minded if he shot a doe for meat during the rifle season. After addressing the issue with the rest of the guys who lease the property with me, I called him back and told him he could. We're all reasonable guys, I just don't think that this situation is right.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

It IS greed. You either own land or own the rights to hunt land. Those hunting from an adjacent property are not offending any of your vested property rights.

Now, while you may think that you have a date with destiny on a P&Y buck on your lease - you DO NOT OWN HIM, nor have you LEASED HIM.

I don't know what state you hunt, but in PA, we have fifty-some odd days (don't quote me on that) where we can take a buck. If you're so scared that somebody might shoot a deer fifty yards into your lease, go out there and get him before they do. I can't stand it when people try to horde deer for themselves.

That feeling you would get if they took a 150 class buck 10 feet inside your posterline would be jealousy, nothing other.

Georgetown- I would be ashamed to say that I wouldn't let another hunter track a wounded animal onto my property, with or without permission. That's a new low.
That's the kind of reprehensible greediness that really upsets me.

Treat your fellow sportsmen with respect, not animous.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quicksilver,
Who really cares if someone shoots a deer on your property. Obviously, nobody wants trespassers wandering around, but if they're hunting from their own ground, and shoot into yours, who really cares?
Your kidding right???
I don't want this to turn into one of "THOSE" posts. You know the kind I'm talkin about. I simply wanted some input on the situation from some other guys, yourself included, to see if anything was brought up that I hadn't already thought of. I would like to say that I'm not greedy. I am under no false pretense that I OWN the deer. I realize that deer are freeranging animals and that at any given time they can cross onto the neighboring property and be taken by a fellow hunter. That situation is FINE. Really, I have absolutely no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is someone shooting across the propertyline at ANY DEER not just a P&Y buck. I wouldn't have a problem with them tracking a deer that had crossed the fence after being shot. In all actuality, I would most likely give them a deer even if they shot it on our side, as long as I haven't talked to them first. But, if I've given them warning and they shoot a deer on our side anyway, I will not give them the deer. Think of me as greedy if you want, but I feel as though I'm in the right on this one. If you want to shoot deer on my side of the fence, come pay your money like the rest of us did to lease the property. Untill you do, don't shoot across the fence.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:13 PM

Quicksliver. . . to your repsonse.
Georgetown- I would be ashamed to say that I wouldn't let another hunter track a wounded animal onto my property, with or without permission. That's a new low.
That's the kind of reprehensible greediness that really upsets me.
I agree in part. . .I don't think it is greed that drives this reponse, but if I am asked I help them put but that is not always the case around here.

But the deal is that a property line should be treated like a wall a mile high. It has no legal bearing that a Deer is not owned. While it free roams on my land it is governed by me, not some one looking at it over the fence. You don't do anything across that line with out permission, period. I don't have to like it but must respect it if I expect respect from my neigbours in return.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you Georgetown, that was what I was trying to say.

Quick Reply: Aggrevating Situation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.