Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why do they touch the rubs with their bare hands?

Old 12-04-2004, 05:47 AM

Default Why do they touch the rubs with their bare hands?

I'm watching Mossy Oaks hunting show right now and this guy is doing what I see all the time on hunting shows.
They walk up to a rub in their rubber boots and scent lok clothes and then for some reason, they touch the tree the rub is on with their bare hand. Why do they do this? Do they have eyes in their finger tips? I can see a rub just fine with the eyes I have in my head and would never dream of leaving my scent on a rub by touching it.
This guy also touched deer tracks by a scape.
Just doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:24 AM

Default RE: Why do they touch the rubs with their bare hands?

I agree with you. I can't understand it either. I think it just looks good for the camera. Remember these guys get their salaries paid for by the companies they represent. I like to watch the shows too, good entertainment value when I'm off shift. I was shocked to find that some of these outfitters get paid 4-6000 for a big buck. Ones that are no bigger than some of the ones roaming around my 700 acres. I take everything these guys do with a grain of salt. Hunting from a box blind, set up by someone else, on a food plot, worked all season by someone else in an area loaded with world class animals doesn't impress me much. I am very lucky to have a large piece of land that carries a lot of deer. I've seen bucks rub the same tree several times during a season. I've also seen different bucks visit the same rub. I've noticed that they always check the scent on the tree before they rub it after it has already been rubbed once. A lot of times these rubs are in staging areas where the big boys feel comfortable. The last thing I'm going to do is scent up the buck's "living room".
Old 12-04-2004, 06:31 AM

You'd think the producers of the shows would tell these guys and gals to stop doing it. I know if I was in charge I would try to show people good habits about scent control. Lot's of new hunters or soon to be hunters watch these shows. They make it seem waaayyyy too easy to harvest a big buck.
I have been hunting for over 20 years and have yet to take a wallhanger.
Maybe I should start touching everything in the woods? Hahahahah
Well I have to go to work now and sell some bikes.
Good luck to those of you lucky enough to be going hunting today!
Old 12-04-2004, 06:44 AM

Also reminds me that I saw a "Prostaffer" climbing a tree using cut off branches on there a couple of days ago. They were cut off a while ago because the tree was a conifer and the branch ends had a lot of sap. He also hunted about 25 feet up in a sling looking chair strapped to the tree. I'd like to get paid to hunt also, but I don't think my life is worth promoting the newest products when some of them are useless. Never ceases to amaze me some of the stuff these so-called experts do.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

that rub was probably man made on a big tree for TV hype
Old 12-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

LMAO-------Now that you mention it,most rubs I see are on trees of 10 inch diameter and bigger.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just like those guys reeling in a top water plug, then pulling a string attached to a rat trap just under the surface. Looks good on film but don't believe everything you see.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

That reminds me of the prank a buddy pulled on his neighbor a few years ago. My buddy took some antlers late one night and rubbed the heck out of a 6" diameter tree along a neighbor's driveway and then made a mock scrape to boot. The neighbor tried hunting in a tree near the "rub" and "scrape for a week![8D]

Back to tv........while they think they are educating new hunters, sometimes they show dumbness by handling rubs and walking on deer trails! [&:] Talk about not leaving scent, then do the opposite.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing more than my opinion, but I think most of what we see on tv is filmed after the animal is already down. get the hunt on film, then traipse around the woods looking for sign, etc. Also, you gotta think all the talking they do is gonna spook their buck but it never seems to. I'll bet they film half of the chit chat on stand after the shot too. who cares about touching rubs or scrapes if you're going to be hunting in a different state tomorrow? probably the guy who is paying his 2500 to hunt there instead of being sponsored by Team Realtree, but the show must go on...
Old 12-05-2004, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

I think they have already shot the buck by luck, and then
they look in the area for rubs and signs for better video.

Quick Reply: Why do they touch the rubs with their bare hands?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.