Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Massachusetts

Old 12-03-2004, 02:24 PM

Default Massachusetts

Kinda new to the site (not bowhunting though), been an onlooker for a little while. I haven't seen much talk about mass for hunting and since I've moved up to Boston I thought I'd try to pick some brains about the state's deer population. I'm trying to find out where the best areas are to hunt in the state (outside of boston common). I've looked on the states website, but it doesn't offer much help other then maps. I've seen a few deer while driving the roads, but nothing like home (Northeast Pa). Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks and happy hunting.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:03 PM

Default RE: Massachusetts

Should I take this as a message that Massachusetts does not have any good deer hunting or fellow bowhunters are not willing to give information? So far what I have found it that the middle of the state seems to produce the best ratio size/numbers of bucks, but I'm unsure of the pressure and what the public land is like. If anyone has any information or can tell me where to find some please fill a lost bow hunter in. Anyone here from the Pocono's or hunt there?
Old 12-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

john kerry says he snoops and poops for deer while crawling around on his belly with he good ole double barrell
Old 12-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

You might give the regional forum a go. I would like to help but have no info, sorry!!!!
Old 12-08-2004, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive been hunting ri for the past few years (unsuccessfully, but thats another story). I have some friends in westport ma, seems that a few good ones get taken there. cant really help you on where to go, they hunt on private land.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:13 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt MA. Bow season is'nt bad on public land, but gun season can get crowded. When u refer to the middle i Think u are saying around the Quabbin? Anyway their are deer all over. Let me know your excat location and maybe i can help you?

jim
Old 12-09-2004, 08:02 AM

Finding a spot to hunt is the hardest thing to do in Mass.. but when you do, it is in the top 10 states in the country for maturity and size of racks/deer. Last year or the year before the state gave up a 200 inch typical, and many 170+ class deer grow old and die here. Being a bowhunter I recommend searching for pockets of property just outside the 128/95 belt. Many of the towns in this area ban all types of hunting, but finding a few acres of private property in the Weston/Lincoln/Sudbury area could produce a class of deer that isn't seen in PA very often. Average rack size in Mass is the largest in New England.

Unlike PA, you shouldn't be looking for farm country .. suburban hunting is where the best bucks are here. Pockets of property accessible by water only is a great way to find deer, check out the Merrimack, Nashua and other rivers if you have a canoe.

There are a lot of hunters here, and not a lot of room. Public land is best in the Western part of the state. Also, seriously consider taking a ferry to Nantucket this coming fall. The island is only 7 miles long, but has deer densities worse than PA, and many guys tag multiple deer there in a weekend. Also, one of the few places you can be huntijng with the sound of the surf in your ears.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:45 AM

I haven't hunted Ma but I believe the state record came out of Orange. There is some beautiful country around there but I don't know about public land or how hard it is to get permission. Judging by how many people move to NH from Ma and post their land I'm guessing it may be tough.

Have I ever mentioned that urbal sprawl sucks.

If you buy NH tags and would like to get together for a hunt or two we could meet up. I'm a little over an hour North of Boston.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

MAJay has some excellent advice, the problem here is not finding deer it is finding property to hunt the deer. But the state does have an excellent herd and good buck quality. I moved out here from the midwest ten years ago, and the buck quality here is very good.

I hunt in Southeastern Mass. (Zone 11) and do very well, see good quality bucks, but I had to work for the private property that I hunt. I have heard that Zone 10 where Jay is from is pretty good to hunt also. If you can find pockets of land in suburbia you will do pretty good. You can also find public land during bow season that isn't over-run, but it will require some foot-work on your part. If you're looking to hunt acres of woodlands and get away from Boston, then you can drive to central MA and hunt some public land there, I've hunted turkeys there.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:40 PM

john kerry says he snoops and poops for deer while crawling around on his belly with he good ole double barrell
That's great..

Quick Reply: Massachusetts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.