Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Outdoor shows in general

Old 11-25-2004, 07:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Outdoor shows in general

One place I saw actually had a small log cabin on poles. I saw them and all that went through my head was"what the heck?"
Old 11-25-2004, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

i would like to see how they actually determined the spot for their stands ie. scouting, instead of the actual kill itself. how do you learn anything from a pro coming in and setting up where an outfitter tells them to.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

TV = Entertainment. Entertainment = Fantasy.

Heck yeah, I like to fantasize about killing a booner or catching a hawg. That's what keeps me going back to the timber, lakes, and rivers. But I understand that whats on TV is usually make believe. [8D]
Old 11-25-2004, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

i agree. would just like to see a show about the when, where, why of stand placement. seems to be an area of interest to me.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:44 AM

I am not sure what hunting shows you are referring to. A few mentioned names but I am curious who chazspot says is not killing the deer in a bowhunting video?

Over the years I have seen some that were very questionable. I remember several kills that Dan Fitzgerald made on video that just didn't seem right. The same deer were running around too much and it made you wonder if they were in a pen or something. The same with Noel Feather, his hunts just didn't seem right either and then we all know he ended up getting busted for poaching.

Now on the other hand, some of the shows/videos are great to watch and I believe they are 100% legit. Anything by the Drury Brothers or Knight & Hale are great to watch. The Drury Bros. own hundres of acres of land so they are not being put up by guides or hunting preserves. And I don't beleive that any of these shows have someone else killing the deer for them and then just showing the deer lying on the ground afterward. Any good video shows the actual shot and impact from the same tree as the hunter. Many times you can see the hunter in the same view as the shot. I know these are not faked but I am sure there are other hokey outfits with their own TV shows that I have not seen. Or maybe you were referring to gun hunts because those would be a lot easier to fake, but I do not watch any show that has anything to do with gun hunting so I don't know much about them. I don't hunt with a gun and watching a guy on TV shoot a deer from 100's of yards away is lame anyway.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

I'd like to see those "hunting" videos, outdoor (B.S.) channel, and slick paper hunter articles all put in the same pile. Right next to the little house out by the barn.

If they thought it would get a dollar out or YOUR pocket and put it in theirs you'd see sparking bullets like the rest of that hollywood crap next week.

You can add Boone and Crockett, Pope & Young and the rest of those self promoting loud mouths to the list and throw them down the "hole" first, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

These guys hunt only prime places or pined deer. The buck to doe ratio is obserd. If you put them where you and i have to hunt they wouldn,t have a show at all. You see them go out and the first hunt big bucks are every where. What kind of enjoyment is there in someone taking you out to a stand that they have put up and done all the scouting. ( Hey Billy Bob when the big buck comes by a 4:30 shoot him. ) The only good thing about hunting shows is that you can learn from watching the animals.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am just trying to give perspective on the shows aired currently and throughout the years like they used to on TNN. I am not going to name names or shows specifically. I don't think that would do any good.

I will say that I haven't seen them all, but I have seen some shows that for example might be more informative and realistic than others. I still browse the other shows knowing that some of the things I am seeing might be fraudulent, but I still can get value from it as mentioned by others who have commented on this topic.

I have fished and hunted with guys who have been with these pros and some of the things I heard the pros did to create these shows we in the “real world” see made me look at them differently.

Again, I still enjoy these shows and it’s not “making me feel better about myself” to say publicly that the “pros” are being dishonest. I just have a different perspective now.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:12 AM

I enjoy the majority of the shows on the outdoor channel you just have to take them with a grain of salt. One thing I would like to see is the list of people that actually wathc the gold prospecting shows. Nothing makes me more upset than flipping on the outdoor channel and finding out the next 2 hours is gold prospecting. Seriously there can't be more than 5 people that actually watch that stuff.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Gold Fe fa Fa fa CLICK[:@]

Quick Reply: Outdoor shows in general

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.