Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long does it take?!

Old 11-23-2004, 07:57 PM

Default How long does it take?!

Well, here in northern Minnesota, the rifle season just ended. While I had seen deer every day from my stand while bow-hunting before the gun season, I saw nothing when I was in the same stand with a rifle. Granted, I had to work opening weekend and I think the deer got hammered pretty hard the first two days, but I got skunked with a rifle. They pretty much went nocturnal I'm thinking. Anyway, I gave it a week and went out again this morning with my bow. Same result, nothing! Now, it was awfully windy this morning so I think it was probably just a bad day to be hunting but my question is this, how long does it take the deer to settle back into their normal routines after being chased around by rifle hunters? By the way, Minnesota times their firearms season to coincide with the rut so that throws another aspect into the picture, plus we're coming up on a full moon, does that influence deer movement?
Old 11-24-2004, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How long does it take?!

I'd say roughly until next season! The deer here seem like they are on full alert after the gun season. I even notice this with the few deer that I have come to the feeder in my yard every night. After the gun season, the deer are on "edge". Generally don't come until well after dark once gun season opens.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

What I've found here in Ontario is that after the rifle season it take's about a week for the deer to settle down and yes some of the deer do go nocturnal . Most buck's to start don't usually like to show themselves till it get's dark anyway's .It's very possible you've burnt your stand out and the deer are aware of your presence,so it wouldn't hurt to move to another location ,sometime's even another tree just a few yrds away will help.Remember that wind direction and your scent might be the cause of the deer dissappearing as well. Good luck with getting your deer ,hopefully I've helped out bit.

nubo
Old 11-24-2004, 07:00 PM

Up here in thief river the deer seem to be nocturnal, I only see the local deer by my house at later times like at around 8 or 9. But they seem to be very careless, i saw nine does in a field by my house not far out of town and I sat and watched them before dark at only around 50 yards.