Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

IT COULD HAPPEN TO ME!!!!!!!!

Old 11-21-2004, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default IT COULD HAPPEN TO ME!!!!!!!!

Hello everyone I just wanted to talk about a show I watched and figured it is pretty important to mention...The show was callled "IT CAN HAPPEN TO ME " and in one part it mentioned how a duck hunter forgot his life jacket and decided to to go anyway, and you guessed it, he fell in and almost drowned...I guess I'm just putting out a friendly reminder to all hunters to wear our safety belts in our treestands, life vests etc. because it can happen to us....I for one didn't wear my safety belt this year and my buddy Rob/PA reminded me that I have alot to lose if I fell out of my tree 1) I have a son to take of and 2) I wouldn't be able to enjoy this sport that I'm so passionate about if I couldn't walk or I'm 6 ft under...Sorry I'm so long winded but if we take one second to remember to be safe instead of being in a rush to get to our spot, We will enjoy our hunt alot more and alot longer. G00d luck for the rest of our many seasons in the field and BE SAFE...
Old 11-21-2004, 09:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: IT COULD HAPPEN TO ME!!!!!!!!

Great advice Q2inwhitetails and a great reminder for all of us to be safe out there. Every year we have the horror stories of fellow bowhunters falling. As the seasons continue, don't forget to take your safety harnesses....this is a great reminder at the early season and again here mid seasons.....Be safe.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your point has been made ,and i wear my harness every time i climb my tree's .

Thank's for your reminder

nubo
Old 11-22-2004, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Saturday , my friend went hunting . We have several climbing stands , and a few strap on stands out on public land . The climbers are chained and locked . When he checked the stand he was going to climb on Saturday he found the one nut missing from the top , and one nut missing from the bottom halfs of the climber , someone had taken them . Now the bolts were still in , so if he had not checked my guess is he would have gotten 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the tree and it would have let go . He does not wear a safty harness . I dont know how someone could do this type of sabotage , at least take the thing apart so someone doesnt get killed , but it goes to show the character of some pepole , and relates to my tag line .
Old 11-22-2004, 06:59 AM

Great advise, I couldn't agree more. Accident happens and when the do they do they tend to be unexpected, thus why we lable them accidents so it dosne't matter how well we can climb a tree. Strap up and be safe.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

One point I forgot was this was the first time he checked the nuts , and hes been up and down the tree at least 15 times this year .
Old 11-22-2004, 08:16 AM

You'd have to be pretty brave or pretty stupid to use a treestand and not use a saftey belt or harness.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:31 AM
Dominant Buck

I got a lesson on the importance of a safety harness for tree stands just this past Saturday ,
I was decending the trunk and my stand decided to race me to the ground ! [] I hung for several minutes trying to get my out of shape body to lift it back up to where I could grab it before I managed to grab the top section's bars . Talk about strange fruit in that tree !
Old 11-22-2004, 04:25 PM

I have actually used my treestand for more times than I can count with never have faced a situation of falling or about to fall. But this one time not very long ago, I happened to forget my harness, Of course I went anyway.....Needless to say on the way out of the tree about 10 feet off of the ground, one of my pins broke and the bottom section gaveway and slipped off of my feet. I had to jump. Wasnt a bad day, but I never go without my harness now. And yes Avidbowhunter it was very stupid.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:14 PM

Some of you may have seen a post I made a couple of weeks ago about this, but for those who didn't see it, my brother in law has a neighbor who didn't use a safety harness in his portable. He fell and has been in a coma for several weeks now... It doesn't look good.
Be safe!