Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bows for kids

Old 11-21-2004, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bows for kids

Ok so I was woried that santa could not afford good bows for the kids for x-mas this year. I went through Gander mountain today and found two Hoyt banshees at half price. Exactly what I needed. One right hand 45 lb draw, 20 - 23 inch draw length. Anothger left hand 25 lb draw, 16- 20 inch draw length. Who could believe I could find a deal like this. The bows were regular $189 each , sale price $99 each. I got them both. These look like great bows, I shot them both all night. I don't know whose going to have more fun. Kids ages are 5 and 9 . I can't wait a few more years till they can sit in a tree stand. It has a whole nother meaning to hunting deer. They both have recurves now and shoot very well, and like it alot. These compound bows will be great. The 45 lb bow is IBO 250 feet per second. WOW. It's shooting almost as fast as me at 70 lbs. Seems to me after shooting at 45 lbs that it would put a arrow through a deer with no problem. Ohio's minimum by law is 40 lbs. If this kid hits in the right place the deer is going down. I was not a big hoyt fan , but now I think they make the greatest youth bows. The great thing for me is this gives me a chance to build a bow press, fletch arrows and all the other goodies that I was afraid to try to my hunting set up. Man these bows are alot of fun!
Old 11-21-2004, 08:46 AM

Default RE: Bows for kids

I really reccomend buying the Browning Micro Midas 3 in 30/40#. That's what my dad bought me and it sure is a great bow. Plus, you can adjust the draw length from 18"- 28". I am currently shooting it at 40# w/ a 26" draw. I am begging Santa for a Mathews Mustang, but hey you know what? Santa isn't too deep in the pockets this year.[:@] Anyway, the Hoyts are nice bows, but I don't like em because of the timing and if they dont bend at the right time, you are S.O.L.!!!!! I hope you're kids enjoy the bows and become great hunting partners!
Old 11-21-2004, 09:08 AM

Santa doesn't buy bows, he makes them! DUH Looks like your kids' bows are your new test subjects!
Old 11-21-2004, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am thinking of getting my young lad the micro midas this year as well,he is 9.I was looking at the bowtech rascal but a little to pricy for me for a kids bow.The midas comes complete with sites,arrow rest and arrows for $299.99,not a bad deal and I'm sure he will love it.
Maybe I'll write a note to santa and see if he can swing the rascal,I think the young guy and I have been good this year and santa might get some milk and cookies out of the deal
Old 11-21-2004, 12:00 PM

That's awesome! I want to get a bow for my 5 year old, but I am afraid she won't let go of her stubborness long enough to listen to our instructions, so she is going to have to wait until she can follow directions a little better. [:@] She loves hunting so much, I wish she would just gain a little maturity and LISTEN! How does your 5 yr old do right now?

We had wanted to let her sit in the stand with us this year, but again, she doesn't listen to instructions very well, so it didn't come to fruition.

Good luck with your boys, your 9 yr old ought to be close to hunting age, eh? I don't know Ohio's laws, but I know the only requirement in Indiana is that any person born after 1986 must pass a 10 hr hunter safety course, if they can do that at 7, they can hunt.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:14 PM

The above bows are all good bows, but the BowTech Rascal is the best youth bow on the market. Yes it is a little more expensive that a Browning Micro Midas, but you get what you pay for. The BowTech Rascal will have a very high resale value once you kid is done with it. It is a adult bow in a kids package.
Old 11-21-2004, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have to agree with BowTech dad on this matter I have a Rascal for my kid's and have passed it down from my daughter to my son .The Rascal is a little pricey but as far as I'm concerned ,Top Quality is worth the price as far as I'm concerned .

Extreme ! I'll send you a PM

nubo
Old 11-21-2004, 05:37 PM

Extreme1,

Ho Ho Ho this is Santa whispering in your ear. Buy the BowTech Rascal. If you don't buy what you really want you will be sorry. You know Christmas only comes once a year. What do you work so hard for all year.

Give your kid the best, don't they deserve it? A little more money now will payoff in the long run. Plus it will have great resale when you but the adult version down the road.

What will you say when your kid says, Gee Dad Santa bought me this nice bow for Christmas, but I really wanted the BowTech Rascal
Old 11-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

You'll like the Banshee....my son (just turned 7) has three, one for bowfishing, one for hunting and one for target shooting. The big thing the banshee has over all the other bows mentioned is a 5 year old can shoot them.....the smaller banshee will adust down to a 14 1/2" draw and 11 lbs of draw weight. I am just ordering a new red target model for my 4 year old daughter. My son got second in the MN State Archery Tournament last year when he was 6. He consistently scores 265 to 270 out of 300.

Good Luck!