Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gutpiles... Scare the deer?

Old 11-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Gutpiles... Scare the deer?

one morning me and dad killed 3 deer from the same setup....by 9am.....none of them cared that we shot gutted and drug the deer back to our little log pile and kept hunting....last year i shot a doe gutted her and drug her down the deer trail not even thinking about it back to my spot....blood leaked all over the trail....gut pile at teh end of it.....deer was shot off of it and ran down it after i shot it.....and yet another deer walked RIGHT down it not an hour after....stopped and LOOKED the dead one i shot in the eye...sniffed...and kept walking......i passed her hoping dad would drop her so i wouldnt have to drag 2 out.....but in my expirience they dont got a care in the world.........but this is rifle season...1million other hunters......deer running as fast as they can praying they arent spotted.....but they have the time to sniff the area and think before they come into it........
Old 11-21-2004, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok. Thanks everyone. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

I shot a does on Monday , gutted it out dragged it to the base of my tree and climbed back up to try and fill my buck tag. later on 4 does come up the ridge stood 20 yards away from the dead eer and stared at her. They then crossed the path I dragged the deer and stopped immediately and started to sniff the ground. All 4 then followed the exact same path I dragged the deer from were we were right to the gut pile. The stood milling around the gut pile for 15 minutes and the left.

Point .............in my opinion it doesn't spoke them and you could hunt right away after gutting a deer. In fact in very well may have been a dure lure to bring the 4 does, who knows..........
Old 12-03-2004, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't think so! I shot my first deer last year while bowhunting. The Deer(Button Buck) expired with 45 yards of my stand. I was waiting for a few before I got down and up over the ridge popped up a real nice 8 pointer. He walked right over to the nub and smelled him for a bit and walked off. That was pretty amazing! If your worried drag the deer away a few yards! Good luck!
Old 12-10-2004, 08:58 PM

Haven't seen guts spook a deer, but they've spooked horses I've been on! Go figure.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

one morning me and dad killed 3 deer from the same setup....by 9am.....none of them cared that we shot gutted and drug the deer back to our little log pile and kept hunting
Why would you do that though? Was the weather hot?

When I kill a doe first thing I let her lay there until at least 9am. If any thing I might go over and prop her up to make it look more natural.

It's the best buck bait you'll ever get.

Many many many times I've had the rest of the deer in a group come right back to the first deer I've dropped and nudge it to try to make it get up. Come around and walk right past the dead one and continue on the way they all were headed to start with and all kinds of other things like that.

Of course it goes with out saying this only works with one shot kills that drop them on the spot.

With only one shot out of a clear blue sky, more times than not they don't even have a clue where it came from or which way to run. They are as likely to run at you as away.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:48 PM

im with more everyone else gut piles dont make a bit of difference. We got lots of brown bears around here and they will sit right at the edge of the woods to wait while you gut a deer to some out and take it. you just gotta be sure you give it a day or 2 before you go back.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

i have never had any problems with deer spooking from a gut pile. as a matter of fact where we hang the deer from the trees we see deer right next to them that evening eating grass... we have even seen them bump in the deer that are hanging
Old 12-11-2004, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

no
Old 12-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shot my first wall-hanger as it was nosing around a gut pile from my previous day's kill.