Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hubby's Illinois 10 pt 2004

Old 11-20-2004, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hubby's Illinois 10 pt 2004

I spent 11/18/2004 at my stand in the am and had a nice 7 pointer come by and a doe and that was it except for watching Squirrel Wars.
I returned home at 11:00am and showered and changed to return to the woods with my hubby for our afternoon evening hunts. The weather called for afternoon rain but we decided to try and intercept the deer coming to the cut corn before the rains began. I opted for my river crossing stand and guided my hubby to a good spot down an old washed out road that was marked with good rubs leading down to the bottom corn field, in the wood line surrounding the field it was just littered with freshly tended scrapes the day before when I checked it out so I thought it would pay off for the Hubby. I had a stand there the year before and sent my husband to it and he was successful in arrowing a nice buck from it last year. And he took a good doe from my other stand last year.
The husband has had a tough rut hunt with 2 great bucks less than 5 yards from his tree he was in but returned home empty handed each time. I have been very successful at guideing him this year and told him the next time I guide him its gonna cost him A new lite weight climber Stand for christmas for me would do the trick... Hint Hint
Now maybe if I could just keep him out of my stands maybe I can arrow a Nice Big Buck[8D] But seriously I incourage him to hunt my stands cause I wanna see him get a good deer, the smiles on his face when he gets a deer make it all worth while.
He arrowed the deer at around 3 pm just before the rain started and watched the buck run across the field towards the river and disapear in the wood line opposite the field. He finished sitting in the stand till dark and then we met at the top of the old road since I was hunting the far west end of the field. We dicussed the hunt and the arrow placement and proceeded to the truck and drove down to the field . We entered the woods with our spotlight and spotted him immediatly bedded down near the woods that edged up to the river but he had not yet expired so we opted to back out and return in the am... we were haveing to go look for him on the 1st day of Illinois Firearm Deer Season and it was a bit warm so we worried about the meat, so we wore the Blaze orange because I have come across poachers with guns on this property before and was nearly shot by one Village Idiot, scumbag, mental midget, The Wheel Is Turning But The Hamster Is Dead , not the brightest crayon in the box Poacher, We returned to the spot we had marked and found the buck was dead and the meat was still good.We only removed the blaze orange for the photos.
A friend of ours was nice enough to bring his Polaris and cart to help haul him out for us since the field was such a muddy mess even for our 4X4 Ford Supercrew we worried it might get stuck but man I love that polaris seems like that thing could go any where with the 3 of us riding it and hauling the buck at the same time. What a great guy we all had a blast on the polaris ride and with me taking the photos.
This is the 4th year in a row that my husband has taken a good buck off this property and this one isnt the biggest buck he has taken from this property but does have the widest spread of any and is the darkest coated buck or doe we have taken from this property.
The buck I found had a small cut above his eye a gash behind his ear and a 4 inch gash in his neck with 5 chipped off tips on his tines so I believe he had been doing some fighting.
We have rough aged him and had another taxidermist rough age him at 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 but wont know his true age until I can get the lower jaw bone removed to age him by the teeth.

Mathews MQ1
Toxonics Hybred IV
ACC
Arizona Vanes
Muzzy 100 Grain Broadheads
Stone mountain Dakota Prestreched String
Golden Key Futura TKO Arrow Rest
T.R.U Ball Release
API Grand Slam Bowhunter Climber Stand
Old 11-20-2004, 11:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hubby's Illinois 10 pt 2004

Good deer! Sounds like a great hunt. Congrats to your husband!
Old 11-21-2004, 12:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey thats a big booger
Old 11-21-2004, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

He is a dark one...a real beauty!

Congratulations to you and your husband.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lady Forge sounds to me that you and your husband make a great team keep up the great work.
That buck sure is dark ,Why is that ?
nubo
Old 11-21-2004, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

THats a great buck!!! Congrats to your husband!!!
Old 11-21-2004, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

nubo;
We have noticed a few real dark coated button bucks on this property in the last few years also. I figure it must be due to genetics.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Thats a nice buck your hubby got Lady Forge! I have never seen a "chocolate" colored buck, that would be unique in my area.

So he was taken the day before shotgun season? This doesn't surprise me because the big bucks seemed to really be trailing hot does most of the day on the 18th. Unfortunately for me they were out of range.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

You know that deer is borderline melanistic, definitely darker than normal. Beautifiul buck! Congrats!
Old 11-21-2004, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is one heck of a nice deer,congrats to your husband.I have seen quite a few bucks that are darker then normal around my area,usually the ones taken from swamp areas

Quick Reply: Hubby's Illinois 10 pt 2004

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.