Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Accidental drop test...

Old 11-22-2004, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Accidental drop test...

Well I never dropped my bow, but like Pa/Rob I once dropped an arrow tipped with a broad-head. My cat-like reflexes responded and I caught the tip! I left a good blood trail out of the woods.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've dropped my compound (a couple of bows ago) - didn't have a pin guard and after the fall, had no pins either.

I've also dropped my recurve, but luckly it landed in the big bush at the base of the tree and broke its fall. Came out good on that one.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:57 PM

Mine fell out of a holder bounced once. Just had to clean it off from some mud. Still was dead on. I was lucky. I have dropped gloves, a boot, hats, deer calls, seat cushion, lunch..but nothin yet this season..
Old 11-23-2004, 08:19 PM

A close friend of mine just got out of the hospital after dropping himself out of the stand. His stand was about 25 feet up in the tree. He said it was a homemade stand but he had purchased a seat for it. As he was trying to hitch up his safety harness, the seat gave way and down he went. He managed to struggle a mile through the woods to his vehicle and his cell phone where he called his son and told him he needed his help. He thought he was dying. His son managed to phone the paramedics and lead them to his dad. End result...he had several broken ribs, a broken arm, a broken wrist, some bones broken in the neck vertebrae, he had bruised every major organ in his body (heart, lungs, kidneys, liver), and suffered massive internal bleeding. His body temp was down to 90 when they found him and his blood pressure was down to 60 something. Doctors ended up removing his spleen which had been torn into three pieces. He showed me the picture of it and it looked like it had been shot. He's lucky to be alive.

As Carpmaster said, be careful out there and remember to take that cell phone if you have one, and let someone know where you're hunting!
Old 11-24-2004, 05:13 AM

ORIGINAL: cardeer

I drove off with it on the roof already. the road was hard and well, time for a new bow
Sorry to LMAO but on the roof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats funny man or should i say hard core!!![8D]
Old 11-24-2004, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here's another legendary dumb move (by me)

On the last day of 2001 archery season, I was home from PSU for the weekend. I cleared my calendar, and decided that I would take the first buck that I saw, then go small game hunting. I pulled off the interstate and away I went. The plan worked perfectly. I took a 5 point, dragged him down to the car and hid him in the brush. I switched my bow for my shotgun and went back into the woods in search of squirrels and turkey. 5 hours later, I returned to my car, and I could see something sitting on the roof... Yeah, it was my bow.

My brand new bow sat on the roof of my car unattended for 5 hours along the interstate, and nobody bothered to take it. I was so wrapped up in switching into small game gear that I inadvertently left my bow lay on the roof. Talk about feeling dumb.

I know another guy who drove away and his bow suffered a death by pavement. I lost the left half of a pair of good LaCrosse boots that way.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

About the goofiest thing that I've done was 4-5 years ago I was hunting this small farm and at the end of the day my dad and I were setting in his truck waiting for my bro's to come in. It was pi$$ing the rain down when a couple of doe came out into the field that his truck was setting in so I got out and got my bow out of the back of his truck but when the deer ran off instead of putting it back I just put it under the truck incase any other deer crossed. Well after I got home I realized that I didn't have my bow with me so I drove 1 hour back to the farm in the dark and sure enough the bow was laying right where I had left it. The only problem was that when we drove off we ran over it and broke the sight, quiver, and rest but luckily the bow was OK. But I did feel stupid.[:'(]