Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

will he come back

Old 11-19-2004, 11:48 PM

Default will he come back

I had a deer walk to within 15 yards of me last sunday. I shot and hit a stick that through my arrow off and the deer bounded off into the woods 40 or 50 yards. he stayed there for at least 15 minutes. will he be back for me to get this weekend or did I ruin that spot and my chances at that deer? ( nice wide 8 point....would have been my first with a bow)
Old 11-19-2004, 11:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: will he come back

not sure where your hunting but during the rut he'll be back, if there are any active scrapes around you could camp out on them, and he could show at any time of the day. best of luck

oh yea welcome to the forums
Old 11-20-2004, 12:00 AM

thank you for the warm welcome.

I am hunting just outside the city limits of Canton Ohio. they weren't rutting hard yet but that buck did follow my esturs trail. the area is a big bottom with lots of thick cover. I found the biggest scrape I have ever seen on this property less than 50 yards away.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:50 AM

No, he's headed to the next county. Seriously though, nobody has a clue what the heck any deer is going to do. People like to think it's an exact science, but it's far from it.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:21 AM

Hey minimag, you're practically hunting in my neck of the woods...I'm outside Dover. In my experience, you may see him again, spook him again, and STILL see him again...or you may NEVER see him again. lol I had a very large bodied buck (small 6 point rack though ) under my stand tonite...I practiced going through all the steps to shooting him...everything except releasing...several times. Finally, I got tired of standing/holding the bow, and I hung my bow, and sat down. He was only about 10 yds away (sniffng a scrape I made). My arm brushed the trunk of the tree just a TINY bit, and he bounded about 30 yds away...I waited til he turned his head away from me, and grunted once, and he came RIGHT back. So I agree with the other guy, that during the rut, they'll likely give you another chance at harvesting them.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

As long as you never scared him too bd I believe he'll return ,although if i were you I'd move my stand just in case he remember's .

nubo