Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you REALLY care what a buck scores??

Old 11-22-2004, 07:52 PM

Default RE: Do you REALLY care what a buck scores??

Age of a deer is what counts for me. I would love to take a 6,5 year old buck, Thats one smart fellow whem they get old definitley age for me
Old 11-22-2004, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rob PABowyer arrowed that weird racked broken thingamajig and if he told you he arrowed a 79" deer that is not what you would picture
I would describe it as he shot a half racked 5 point that scored 79 inches with a crazy long brow tine on the broken off side.

My brother killed an 8pt with great mass a few years back and it scores around 120. There is no way anyone would picture what this thing looks like from that score. It is all palmated and looks more like a moose antler then a deer.
I would say he shot an 8 pt with good mass and palmation that scored around 120.

My 13 pointer is a perfect 10 on one side (5 points) and the other side has 8 points with non typical weirdness that you would never picture in your head just because I told you the score
You shot a main frame 10 point with 3 abnormal points on one side that scored around (fill in the blank).

You can describe a rack to someone in great detail without giving them the score and they will have a much clearer picture then any number could ever give them.
So you can now speak for everyone as to what we can or cannot visualize?

It's not to difficult to give a brief description along with the score to help one visualize.

The only reason you will not see everyone's points on this is because you already had your mind made up before the discussion. You don't see anyone's point because you don't want to. A mind works best when it's left open
Old 11-22-2004, 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

So you can now speak for everyone as to what we can or cannot visualize?
At least as much as you can speak for everyone saying that they need a number to get a clear mental picture of a bucks rack.

It's not to difficult to give a brief description along with the score to help one visualize.
Scoring is subjective at best.........most people can't even agree on what they think a buck will score or what it in fact really does score........you should know this better then anyone by the reactions your buck got

Give a clear description or show a picture.............even if scoring helps YOU in the ways you say it does, I highly doubt that is the driving force behind 99% of people seeking that magic number.

BTW I killed a 4 pt this morning with my gun.........I bet you don't need me to give you the score to guess what he looks like
Old 11-23-2004, 03:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Scoring is subjective at best.........most people can't even agree on what they think a buck will score or what it in fact really does score........you should know this better then anyone by the reactions your buck got
It doesn't matter if people agree what a deer looks like it will score. Once a deer is officially scored there is no arguement, numbers don't lie[8D]

I highly doubt that is the driving force behind 99% of people seeking that magic number.
What are you getting at here? What magic number? I seek no magic number, I just like to know what number (score) a deer measures.

Do you count points, measure spread, or weigh your deer? It is the same thing as scoring a rack. They are all a form of measureing a deers size. There is no denying that.

How about go tell your buddy you shot a big bodied buck. When he asks how heavy, describe it to him with out mentioning pounds or weight.

Antler score is no different, to me and alot of others anyways.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:07 AM

BTW I killed a 4 pt this morning with my gun.........I bet you don't need me to give you the score to guess what he looks like
A buddy of mine shot a spike that probably scores in the 60s or 70's - two long main beams that had no points. The deer was probably 3.5 years old. If he told people he shot a spike, the picture in their mind would be off a mile (or at least 50-60"). If he said he shot a 70" spike, they'd have a better idea what it looked like. If he showed them a photo and said it was 70", they'd have the best idea. Photos can be very misleading, depending on the angle, size of deer, focal length of lense, etc. Add the measurement, and people have a much clearer image of the deer.

-----------------------------------

How about go tell your buddy you shot a big bodied buck. When he asks how heavy, describe it to him with out mentioning pounds or weight.
Just show him a photo and say it's a monster, the biggest ever. If you never say exactly how much, he can't easily say he got a bigger one. Maybe that's why some hate numbers. They may not want anyone to every say they got a bigger one.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

WOW... Had a ton of e-mails from this forum... I am all about scoring a deer... If for nothing else to spend some more time Holding the Rack....

Straightarrow... I'd have to see a 60 or 70" spike... Sounds Awesome though...
Old 11-23-2004, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

As time has gone by, I have changed my mind about book deer and am much more concerned about taking a good quality shot and executing it perfectly on any deer I am happy with wether it be a buck or a doe. I will wait on a buck that in my opinion is a good quality deer. That being said, if that deer is a true monster it would be more gratifying, but not essential for me. The buck I shot this year was an 8 with one main beam broke off at the G3, consequently a 7. He was a very large bodied deer and probably the largest deer I have shot in many years. I made a good shot and got to see him go down within 60 yards. Thats the perfect hunt for this hunter.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes by all means please post the pic of the 70" spike. That has got to be something.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:24 AM

Scores aren't that important to me......I wouldn't turn down a nice size buck....but, I've always hunted to put something in the freezer....
Old 11-23-2004, 10:54 AM

Yes by all means please post the pic of the 70" spike. That has got to be something.
He never scored the buck, I'm just guessing what it might have scored. I wish I had a photo of it. He shot it a few years ago and has since moved out of the area. I don't know if he ever mounted it or even kept the antlers. It had typical main beams that were in the area of 20" each and a 17-18" spread (best I can recall). They had decent mass to them. Even though the measurement seems large, it was actually the lowest scoring deer of that age, I've ever seen (at least for one that had no broken antlers).

Quick Reply: Do you REALLY care what a buck scores??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.