Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you REALLY care what a buck scores??

Old 11-20-2004, 05:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Do you REALLY care what a buck scores??

And who are you to determine if my buck is a trophy or not? It doesnt' meet your standards? It's not mountable? It doesnt' score over 140"? I thought it was up to the individual hunter to determine in his/her eyes what is a trophy to them.
Tell me what is the # where it is deemed a trophy?
Old 11-20-2004, 05:44 PM

150" or bigger, other then that its not worth shooting, unless hes a cull buck
Old 11-20-2004, 10:08 PM
Typical Buck

Score? Who's keeping score? Nope... any whitetail with a bow is a trophy, nuff said.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:32 AM

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Whatever the difference betwen us, there is no reason to assume that anyone gets "distraught if he scores 5 1/8 below what I wanted". That isn't what is happening and has nothing to do with why we want to measure the antlers.

No you could never tell by the debate over buckeybuckhntrs' buck [:-].

Old 11-21-2004, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

No you could never tell by the debate over buckeybuckhntrs' buck .
Ya, that thread got a little out of hand for a minute.[&:]

I am another who cares what a buck scores. Its not for bragging rights, pats on the back or machoism. Its just another way to measure a deers size just like weight, spread or point count.

As was stated earlier for instance tell someone you shot a big 8 pointer. They may picture a 12 inch spread buck with moderate tine length, they have no clue what a "big 8 point" is to you, "big" is something totally different to different people. Now tell someone it was a 140 inch 8 point and it paints the picture more clearly.

Case in point Atlas's gun buck from last year. Atlas said that was a big buck for his area. Now if I were talking to Atlas and he told me about the big 13 point he shot, I definitely would not have pictured his buck in my head. I would have pictured something much bigger. Another case where "big" is so different between 2 people.

Now if Atlas said he shot a 120 class 13 point (I don't remember the score) I would have a much better understanding on the deers rack size.

I now for the past few years hunt exclusively for mature bucks. 3 1/2 years or older. Its not the final score as to what animal I choose to harvest. Its all about that deer. Take last years (2003) buck I arrowed for instance. A mature buck with a ton of character who didn't score high.

If there is a 160 class perfect 10 point and a 140 class gnarly racked buck with heavy mass hands down I would drop the string on the gnarly racked buck. It's just my preference.

So bigger score isn't necessarily better. Well to me at least.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: royak

I coouldnt care less any deer I am fortunate enough to take with my bow is a true trophy to me. And when I stop feeling that way I will also stop hunting them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Excellent answer and mine also.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Its a two edged sword these days. I love the opportunity of possibly taking a big mature buck but...............the magazines, videos, tv shows,etc. has also brought more outfitters, leasing, and overall has raised the cost of hunting.

Hunting has become an organized sport to many instead of a family tradition.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bump, couldn't resist, I love these debate-able threads. Come on who's gonna grab...the last word?
Old 11-22-2004, 11:31 AM

I don't really buy into the theory of knowing a score tells you more about the rack.......it might............it might not.

Rob PABowyer arrowed that weird racked broken thingamajig and if he told you he arrowed a 79" deer that is not what you would picture.

My brother killed an 8pt with great mass a few years back and it scores around 120. There is no way anyone would picture what this thing looks like from that score. It is all palmated and looks more like a moose antler then a deer.

My 13 pointer is a perfect 10 on one side (5 points) and the other side has 8 points with non typical weirdness that you would never picture in your head just because I told you the score.

You can describe a rack to someone in great detail without giving them the score and they will have a much clearer picture then any number could ever give them.

Score could mean anything............could mean great mass or thin........could be long tines or short.......could be narrow or wide spread.........or any combo of all of them.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes

Quick Reply: Do you REALLY care what a buck scores??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.