Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you REALLY care what a buck scores??

Old 11-24-2004, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you REALLY care what a buck scores??

I think somewhere along the line the arguement has shifted...as always.
It started out whether or not people care what a buck scores. Score is a number, just as valid as counting points. Whether you truly care or not what that number is, is fine as most people don't YET they still want to know it. Then along the way its become whether that score is meaningful, yes it means how many inches the buck has on his head according to a particular system. Now we are debating a raised 150 vs a public land pour yout guts into it effort 6 pt. and now after arguing my point I seem to have lost it

oh well, soon it'll be time to leave work and go eat some turkey.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

The board has a contest with prizes for the team with the best score
Understandable Atlas, now of those people who voted No, see how many are in the Contest. Than carefully reconsider.
WOW you're really gung ho over this contest thing huh? I suppose us non contest member peons should keep quiet then.

Your not wrapped up in score fine, for you. But your attempts to argue, are becomeing kinda ~~~~~out there.
Tough time following the logic? I can e-mail the cliff notes.

Back to my biggest problem with this score debate (if you still feel like debating it). Simply put it just seems a shame these days that it takes nothing short of a 140" buck to get someones blood pumping. Call me crazy, but to me that's a shame that it has come to that for some. Something in the great tradition of hunting has been lost there.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I could care less. I hunt for the meat. I would sooner take a big doe over a small buck with a big rack

I agree with this definetly. I think this is a good topic for me because I haven't gotten a deer with my bow yet and it something i am very much hoping that happens. Out here where i am, you are lucky to even see a Doe let alone a spike buck. I would say i would pass the the buck that is a spike but either way, it would be a memory in the making regardless I decide to pull my arrow back or not. I was taught to always respect what i hunt and take and i am always grateful for the meat and memories that I will get in the future. On a more personal note, when I do get my first buck. I'm going to deicate it to my father's memory (For those who don't know or don't remember, he passed away 11 months ago)
Old 11-24-2004, 04:45 PM

Simply put it just seems a shame these days that it takes nothing short of a 140" buck to get someones blood pumping. Call me crazy, but to me that's a shame that it has come to that for some. Something in the great tradition of hunting has been lost there.
Nah.... anything over 125 is a shooter for me

Actually something HAS been lost in the great tradition of hunting if you want to fully analyze it. Our forefathers hunted solely for food and I am sure they did not care about the antlers. Nowadays hunting is a hobby, past time, we do it for enjoyment, not out of necessity. And yes for 99% of the hunters out there shooting a nice buck will provide more enjoyment and celebration. And for those that said they hunt solely for the meat, that is a nice thought but it is much cheaper to buy meat at the grocery store. Nowadays we do it for the challenge and hunting with a bow over a gun offers one level of challenge. The next progression in many hunters after bagging several deer is to be more selective and pass the younger bucks. For me it provides more enjoyment because it is more of a challenge. The spirit of the hunt is where it is at for me, the actual act of killing is a small part of it and shooting the first thing to walk by does not let one experience watching the deer and all of their behavior.

Now the actual score? Most of us that are debating with you said the actual score is not the primary concern as you keep suggesting. We want a mature buck and whatever he scores is what he scores. I know you don't want to hear this but I will admit that I do not get excited when I see a 1 1/2 year old 6 point coming torwards me because I know I am not going to shoot him. Shooting a small buck does absolutely nothing for me anymore so I will shoot a doe if I want to fill a tag.

I am sure all of us are stubborn and are not going to completely understand each other so I don't see how it is constructive to continue this thread.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am sure all of us are stubborn and are not going to completely understand each other so I don't see how it is constructive to continue this thread.
cause we're one big happy family.[:-]