Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

illinois rut and deer behavior question

Old 11-16-2004, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default illinois rut and deer behavior question

I hear that the Illinois (south central) rut should be coming to an end around the 20th. I have a few questions. First off, what do you think of these date calculations? How should I expect the deer activity to slow down? Taper off slowly? Or will it seem like someone nuked all the deer? I think my local deer will be semi-uneffected by the Shotgun season (knock on wood) so I'm not counting on that sending them into hiding. But because I'm on such a small piece of land I did see them WAY LESS DEER when the rut wasn't here. I guess I'm wondering is, shotgun season aside, what should I expect out of my deer as the rut ends and when will the rut end?
Old 11-16-2004, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: illinois rut and deer behavior question

here in central ill the bucks been in rut for about two weeks or so but from what i have seen the does are just now getting there . as far as shotgun season around here it throws all the deer for a loop unless you got alot of land the deer will be all over
Old 11-17-2004, 01:39 AM
Fork Horn

bscofield,
Here in East Central, IL, the rut is still going strong, just Monday I watched a nice 150 class 8 point "mount" a doe at 7:33AM. They have been in rut for about two weeks & from what I have observed they will be for at least one more week, give or take a couple days.

I've been on stand every day sence Saturday (I'm after a verry large buck) & the bucks are running doe's every day all day! Put in some serious time this weekend & you should get one.

Good Luck.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's been my experience in the past that when the rut starts tapering off you'll still see the bucks cruising the countryside looking for the last hot does, but what you won't see as much is bucks actually running the does. The activity tends to taper off over about a week's time, then pick back up a bit that first week in December. A doe decoy and/or some doe in heat scent are usually pretty good tactics for luring in those bucks who are still on the prowl.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:52 PM

i live in the Southern side of Illinois and from what I have heard and seen the rut is in full swing. I have also heard that the will slowly die out in a little over a week then pick back up for a short while during 2nd rut.

tim