Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to Bowhunting, Need some help/ideas.

Old 11-16-2004, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default New to Bowhunting, Need some help/ideas.

Hey guys,

I have been a gunhunter since I started hunting 3 years ago. I would like to get into bowhunting so I have more chances to get into the field. I have done ok gun hunting taken a bear so far, and our moose party has been successful (not myself yet but I have been there for a few kills). No luck with the whitetails yet. My question bascially is where do I start to get into bowhunting? I live in the city unfortuneatly and don't have anywhere to practice. I also need to get all the equipment etc etc etc... So where do you guys who live in a city practice??? having never shot a bow before where do I learn how to shoot so I know one that feels good to buy? Then when i get one where do I practice so when I get a chance at a deer I will be confident that I can take the shot. I have read to many of the "wounded one posts" to go out and just start shooting at deer. Then I get into the whole debate about which bow to buy. So many questions????? Sorry for the rambling guys just hoping to get more involved in this sport I love. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2004, 04:41 PM

Default RE: New to Bowhunting, Need some help/ideas.

Your first step is to talk to some people that you know practice archery and find out where they go to get their bows maintained (local bow shop, shooting clubs, etc...) If you do not know of anyone, look for a bowshop that gives lessons. You should be able to find one, just make sure to ask about the lessons. If they offer lessons, chances are good that they have an indoor shooting range. This will allow you to shoot all winter and get a head start for next season. As far as equipment, there are a lot of decent bows out there that are fairly reasonable in price. PSE, Browning, Darton, Reflex, High Country, just to name a few. Any one of these manufactures make bows that will shoot straght. After you get hooked, that is when the fun begins! Remember, you must go to a reputable shop so that you don't get the wrong equipment. A bow is not like a gun, it must fit you, and your arrows must also fit your setup. Welcome aboard and HAPPY SHOOTING!
Old 11-16-2004, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New to Bowhunting, Need some help/ideas.

Thanks standorstalk, I will look for a good bow shop and start from there. Would the Archery section at Bass pro be a good place to start? or are they not as good as a good Pro shop??? We just had a huge new bass pro open up here in Toronto and that wouldn't be to bad to go to. I will look around for a good shop though.