Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What to do about horses?

Old 11-12-2004, 05:02 PM

Default What to do about horses?

I hunt where horse can run around. About an hour before dark the last two time i went out i have horses come right by my stand. Today they scared off 3 deer. Last time I got down a ran them off aways, then two deer came by. Tonite i tried running the off n they circled around my stand. How can i get them to stay away or do i just keep hunting, and hope they don't come by?
Old 11-12-2004, 05:04 PM

Default RE: What to do about horses?

3 lbs horse
1/2 cup onion
10 large potatoes
2 stalks of celery
5 carrots
Salt and pepper to taste
Old 11-12-2004, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt around horses all the time.The deer are used to them.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot em with a sling shot in the butt to shoo them off. That's the only thing I'd know to do.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I use to hunt on a horse farm and on horse trails. Deer never mind them one bit.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot em. But watch out for the shoulder blade. The meat aint very good, might as well just mount the head and feed it to the dogs.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

When I hunted around horses it was the horses that were more alert of the deer than the deer of of the horses. Many times the horse would tip me off to an approching deer on the other side of the field comeing across it where I couldn't see it due to the rise of the field. The horse would stand still and stare at the deer till it passed. When you saw that horse perfectly motionless and staring in one direction you knew something was comeing across the field. The horses were penned up in a half acre or so section of the field that was off the woodline about 50 yrds and not allowed to roam the field.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

I used to hunt a farm where the landowner had like 30-40 horses, they were a huge pain. Like everyone else said the deer were used to the horses and didnt mind them at all. The horses always seem to show up at the worst time and then wouldnt leave. Or you would be concentrating on the woods listening for deer movement and then you would hear nothing but the thunder of a ton of horses running by you. The deer were really smart too they knew we wouldnt shoot near the horses so they would run right out in the field and get in the middle of the horses and stay with them. I tried everything to keep them away, they would eventually after awhile get bored and leave but that was the only way, smaking them on the ass or yelling at them didnt do anything. Wow i just realized i still really hate those dang horses.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ride them or give them beer
Old 11-13-2004, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bartz_25

I hunt where horse can run around.....

How can i get them to stay away or do i just keep hunting, and hope they don't come by?

Uh, don't hunt in a horse pasture?

I own three horses and hunt a woods adjoining the pasture. The horses have no access to the woods so it works out. As everyone else said, the deer get used to the horses, but from what I've observed, they really don't get too close to them. They will graze some 100 yards away, but will move off once the horses approach. The horses are the curious ones and will always approach the deer first.

With that said, I think you need to find another spot to hunt - sounds like the horses were there first, and really, where are they going to go?

Quick Reply: What to do about horses?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.