Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

mechanical broadhead

Old 11-13-2004, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mechanical broadhead

I've tried many different makes and models of mechs and the best of the best is the Rocket Steelhead. These b-heads have been incredible performers for me on nearly 2 dozen deer and still I have yet to have one take 60 yards on me! You most certainly should take a very serious look at 'em!
Old 11-13-2004, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

It depends on your setup but from what i have seen for all around the smaller rockets work great!
Old 11-13-2004, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

They all work pretty good I believe, everyone has used one kind or another with success, but I think some are just a little tougher in my opinion. I use the Wasp Jackhammers and have had great luck with them, so I see no need to change. I have had some fall aprt from just practicing with them on a bag target some bend also, the wasps have not failed.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:43 PM

Huge fan of Spitfire!! They seem to be unstoppable. Good luck tryin to figure this one out.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the replies guys. it seems to be between the spitfire's, rocket's and shockwave's mainly. ill do a little more looking around and stop by 5shot's site before i make up my mind. thanks again everyone.

p.s.-anyone had some experience with the cobra view master deluxe pendulum? if so could you give me your thoughs in that topic. thanks
Old 11-15-2004, 07:27 PM

I've used rockets and spitfires. Spitfires get my vote....BIG holes, and they fly straight. They also have replacement blades available, though they easily resharpen with a mill file and stone. A friend of mine filmed a buck killed by a Grim reaper. You can see fountains of blood squirting out of the deer, which moved all of 10 yards. nasty kill. there are lots of good brands out there, I think, but I'm happy with spitfires for now.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:38 PM

Mechanical bh's - Spitfire (so far so good)

Pendulum sight - Trophy Ridge (love it) I have also shot with Keller and Cobra and they all seem to work fine
Old 11-15-2004, 09:39 PM

Rocky Mtn Snypers, fly better than Spitfires, one huge entrance hole, open easier because of Cam Action blade design, Rocky Mtn Broadheads back up their products, Bruce Barrie (Owner) is sending me extra blades for the Snypers, no cost! My next vote would be the Rocky Mtn Gator XP, the Spitfires need by far some of the most KE to open for none rubberband mechanical broadheads.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I have used shockwaves with not one complaint at all.

Just to try something different this year I bought some Vortex minimax 3 blade with a 2 inch cutting diameter. can't wait to see how a deer reacts to it.

Brian