Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Killed a decent one the other night

Old 11-11-2004, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Killed a decent one the other night

I cut and pasted this from the forums on my site. Hope it is compatible with this format:

OK, I have the pics now. Here is the story.

MJK's brother, Dave, and I took off to the place I hunt in SOhio. We hunted Tuesday morning on the south end of the property. Dave saw nothing, I saw 9 deer, including one shooter. He did not want to play. Funny thing is, we were only 250 yards from eachother and Dave saw nothing.

Anyways, in the afternoon, we both headed to separate food plots at 3pm. The landowner, my good friend John, said he would not go out till 5 or so, because he only sees deer on the plot after 5. I grinned and said "That's because you are never there until 5"!

I got settled in at 3:15 or so. Here is the plot I was sitting on. There is a bucket tucked in to the pines on the left. It is about as uncomfortable as you can get. The plot is about 20 yards by 15 yards, surrounded by the thickest pines you can imagine:

After about 25 minutes, my trucker butt couldn't handle the bucket any more, and my legs went numb. I had to get off of that thing. I sat down on my butt, with my legs out in front of me to try to bring back the circulation. I was in this position for about 4 minutes before I heard a twig snap behind me in the thick pines. I quickly got to my knees and put my release on the string loop of my Legacy.

I turned to the left and heard what sounded like anter coming through the dried pine branches. My heart started pumping. I had only been on stand for about 1/2 an hour and already I had something coming in.

I could just make out the legs of a deer as it closed to about 7 yards from me. It was directly downwind of me and the cover so tight that I could not make out a head yet.

The deer continued to approach the plot, paralleling me, until I could see it's head and rack in a small opening. The buck had his tongue hanging out and was clealy whipped from running the SOhio ridges. I also saw the length of the buck's beam and knew I would take him.

The buck took a couple steps closer to the plot and did a lip curl. His next step gave me the screen I needed to draw. I pulled the bow back and the buck jumped from the motion. He pounced out into my shooting lane in the plot at about 8 yards. He was broadside, looking the other way, leaning forward, putting his shoulders a litte bit back:

I had one small twig about 2 feet in front of my bow. It was right where I needed to aim. I knew that the arrow would fly under it though as it was so close. I settled the pin and released.

You ever smoked a deer so damn well that you jump right out of your seat even before it leaves the scene? I have never, in my life, made a prettier, or more perfect shot on a deer.

I was on my feet by the time the deer left the plot. He ran down an ATV trail through the pines with me jumping up and down, squealing with delight and thanking the lord for the opportunity. Just as the buck got out of my sight and over the hill, I heard him slam into a wall of pines.

I booked back to the house to grab John. He looked at me with wonder, until I said, "I thought the deer don't come out till 5:15"! He laughed and said he'd attached the deer hauler to the back of his truck and meet me there. I hopped on a 4 wheeler and took off.

As I got to the plot, I found my arrow, drenched in lung blood, and began to look for blood for another virtual blood trail. Only prob is, there was no blood, just the deep furrows that the buck put into the ATV trail as he tore down the hill.

I followed the tracks till they stopped. He had to have pitched into the pines on the right or left.

I looked left...nothing.

I looked right....

I let out a scream of joy and went in the pines to get him.

Now mind you, he is not a slammer in some peoples' books, but after years of passing up small bucks looking for a book deer, I am tickled pick to take this deer, especially at 8 yards, downwind, from the ground.

The lack of blood was due to the deer's front legs being back when I shot. I tucked the arrow right in behind the leg bone, and out the exact spot on the other side. When he ran, the legs covered the exit and entrance holes in the cavity. He pretty much drowned in his blood.

I hooked the rack up to a rope and dragged the deer to the food plot to meet John. We then tossed it onto the hitch haul and headed back to the house where we would get better light for pics.

I rough scored him at just over 130, but was not too precise. When he gets back from the butcher, I'll put a tape to him again.

http://www.totalsportsman.com/site/Member/georgeq/
Old 11-11-2004, 08:42 AM

Default RE: Killed a decent one the other night

Nice buck!

There is something to be said for hunting before 5:00, huh
Old 11-11-2004, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great deer , excellent story . Congrats
Old 11-11-2004, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good buck and pic story
Old 11-11-2004, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's a nice buck, and from the ground, WOW. Congrats.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! Nice buck.Cool story also!
Old 11-11-2004, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

What an awesome hunt. The kind hunters dream about! Way to go dude he's a beauty!
Old 11-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice story!! Congratulations on a great buck!
Old 11-11-2004, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats a great buck in my book!!!!
Old 11-11-2004, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great buck congrads. Ground hunting is really challenging i enjoy it alot. Good luck on your future hunts!

Quick Reply: Killed a decent one the other night

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.