Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Redemption in LA(lower Alabama)

Old 11-07-2004, 02:46 PM

Default Redemption in LA(lower Alabama)

As most of you know I missed the first buck I had a chance at with my bow thursday evening. On Saturday afternoon I turned the fortunes in my favor finally. I got a call around 1100 and was asked if I wanted to come hunt in the famed black belt region of Alabama. The location is only 1hour and 45 mins from my house so I headed that way only after I watched my little girls soccer game. When I arrived we went out and looked for a location to hang a stand. It was at 3:00 before I had found the honey hole. We ran deer off when we walked into the area.I hung my stand by the biggest white oak within 100 miles, not to mention it was in a corner of a green field that was loaded with tracks. We hung the Gorilla in the tree and headed back to the camp to get dressed and headed back out. I was a little late, try around 3:45 before I got back in the tree again. At around 4:40 I decided to stand up for the rest of the evening. I was looking into the pine plantation that surrounded me and where I thought the deer would come from when I turned my head a little and see a deer out of the corner of my eye standing broadside 30 yards away in the middle of the field. Of course I was thinking how am I going to get my bow, turn around, and get a shot off without being picked off. About this time a bird flies out of the field and scares the deer off for a minute. I was then able to get set up and ready for the shot. I looked through my binoculars and see that it is a big buck but was unable to tell anything else about the deer at the time. Eventually he worked his way back down thr field towards the white oak. I then saw that he was a big six pointer with about an 18 inch spread. As he was walking down he walked behind a bush and I drew back and waited. He took one step and the muzzy was on the way at 30 yards. I made a perfect shot, double lung and heard him crash about 50 yards away. It was the highlight of my hunting career, I had finally shot a buck with the old Mathews Legacy. He weighed in at 175 lbs, had an 18 inch spread, and twenty inch main beams.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Redemption in LA(lower Alabama)

Way to go ,Pics
Old 11-07-2004, 04:46 PM

I m working on the pictures, I should get them tommorow.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

way to go man, cant wait to see pics