Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Technique For Calling

Old 11-07-2004, 09:04 AM

Default New Technique For Calling

I don't know how many times (usually during the rut), that while walking to a stand...bucks have come running to the sound of my footsteps.

So I got the idea of taking my haul rope with a big beener clip on the end of it, and bounced it on the ground imitating those sounds. It's worked several times so far, but I'm still waiting on that monster to come into it.

Another version I've tried is to take your rattling antlers and do as in the pic below. Bounce them around below your stand, and you get the sound of two bucks fighting (on the ground instead of in a tree) complete with the sounds of them stomping around in the dry leaves.

Has anyone ever tried something similar to this?

JP
Old 11-07-2004, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Technique For Calling

Don't know about the beaner,but I like the antler idea
Old 11-07-2004, 06:21 PM

Default RE: New Technique For Calling

I am somewhat ignorant in the art of rattling, but have heard from quite a few people that it is a two man job. One rattler, one hunter. The guy that first told me about rattling said that he had a buddy rattling off from his tree, raising absolute cain--hitting the antlers off of trees, stomping, hitting scrub oaks, sliding the antlers over the ground etc, etc.
Tonight I rattled my big boy in that I have been hunting all season-not once, not twice, but three times I rattled him in. Where I lost him was during the transition from rattling to picking up my bow! I don't think he was sure that I was a predator, but I moved enough to spook him off all three times. The deer are not in full rut here yet, but his interest was definately peaked.
Anyway, I think this idea that you have is awesome, because it will allow you to hunt from a tree, and still make some of the "realistic" noises that go along with clashing antlers together. I am hitting the woods super-early tommorow morning, and if I don't see "big daddy' come back through by noon, I may have to try your idea!

SL