Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HELP WHERE DID I HIT THIS DOE??????????????????????

Old 11-06-2004, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default HELP WHERE DID I HIT THIS DOE??????????????????????

I finallyl got a shot at one about 10 yards.(if that) And when I shot she scattered off but I did't see which way she went. I seen my arrow sticking in the ground like I just shot it at the ground so I guessed I missed. When I got back to the house I looked at the arrow and on the broadhead it had brown and white hair and some meat on it and up the arrow it has white hairs and on the fletching it has (cockfeather) Meat and a little bit of blood. and on the oher two feathers there are blood. And up the arrow there are some blood and on the arrow by the feathers is where most of the blood is(isn't very much tho). ALl the up the arrow there are white hairs and meat. The broadhead had a little bitty patch of brown hair but that wa all. Where do you think I hit it at? I am going out in the morning to see if I can find anything because I know I hit her. Thanks in advance. The broadhead was the NAP SHOCKWAVE

Trap
Old 11-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Spike

Default RE: HELP WHERE DID I HIT THIS DOE??????????????????????

You didnt see which way the deer ran?Well anyway its sounds like you hit her low,could still be fatal. You need to go back and look for sure,still dont know how you didnt see which way she ran?
Old 11-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

From what you say I would guess you hit the sternum area or the leg / armpit area..
Old 11-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

First of all, did you look for a blood trail after the shot? Keep thinking about it, replaying it over and over, you have to remember which way that deer went (more than likely the way she was facing when you shot).

As for the hit, it sounds to me that you were shooting at too steep of an angle. If the doe was inside of 10 yards, the angle of the arrow may not connect with both lungs. Brown hair and mostly white hair tell me that you hit the doe near the bottom portion of her rib cage/chest area. Not much blood and some meat says you went through the sternum (assuming you hit her in the chest cavity), or as pointed out, you went through muscle on one of the legs. (Did you see where your arrow hit the deer?) Was there tallow (greasy white, almost like a "chalk" mark), on the arrow? Clear liquid? How did it smell? Green/yellow on the arrow? What color was the blood (dark, red, ligher red)? Bubbles in the blood? Again, sounds to me that the deer was too close presenting too steep of an angle, but there is a chance though you may have clipped one lung. If so, she will die. I suggest looking for the blood trail - she'll be bleeding out the bottom since you got a pass-through. More than likely with this type of hit, you won't have a real good blood trail, only where she stops will there be a pool of blood. The problem with this type of hit is the tallow will close the wound and your blood trail will run dry, then you will have to track by other methods. Also by the sounds of it, you didn't have enough blood on it to have gone through a lung or major artery. Don't take that as fact though, you never know. Get out there and pick the blood trail up first light. Good luck. Let us know what you find.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't see where it hit the deer. There was no chalk mark but the arrow loooks greasy. It doesn't really have a smell to it but then again I didn't really want to smell it. No greena dn yellow. On the fletching the blood looks lighter but on the arrow it looks darker. No bubbles. In the mornign I am going to look high and low. When I shot the deer ran off and there is a few trees in front of me and I lost track of which one it was becasue there was 3 of them there. Thanks

Trap
Old 11-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I absolutely will refrain from starting one of those posts which turns into bashing the hunter, as I have not yet ever participated in one of those. But, having said that... I am quite incredulous you didn't inspect your arrow upon immediately pulling it out of the ground. I can't imagine why you wouldn't have, but without having been there or knowing the full story, I'll not make too many assumptions at this point...

I concur with a low hit, since you collected both brown and white hairs. Beyond that, all I know is that you owe it to this animal to search like crazy tomorrow -- which I know you said you were planning to. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:20 PM

The best thing you have going for you is that you thought you missed so you packed up and went home. Seeing that you didn't search for the deer and potentially run it off it may be close to where you were. Look hard and long and I hope you get her.

How high in the tree were you? Can't say it was too steep of a shot if we don't know the height at which you were shooting. Good Luck
Old 11-07-2004, 01:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

HMMM