Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did he blow at me???

Old 11-06-2004, 01:26 PM
voz
Fork Horn

Default Did he blow at me???

Saw a buck (6 or 8 pt) this morning...he came through too quick for me to get a shot...I got ready, and just after he went out of sight, I hit the horn bag....I saw him jump to the right of the trail, he went behind some tree and stopped....waited for a minute and then...1,2,3...he blew 3 times. I've heard sometimes deer make a sound when they challenge an opponent...I was wondering, if he was alarmed, or challenging.. I never saw him after that, and I couldn't locate my grunt call...I don't believe he saw me...what do you think?
Old 11-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Did he blow at me???

Most of the time when a deer has done that to me was when they smelled me or something!

Trap
Old 11-06-2004, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

Was the wind in your face or blowing towards him? He might of turned to find out where that noise came from and winded ya. Are ya using a climber or fixed position stand. If using a climber try getting on the downwind side of the area your hunting or relocate stand
Old 11-06-2004, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

my guess is he went down wind and winded you, he probably didnt see you but yea my guess is he scented you and got spooked. but o well it happens
Old 11-06-2004, 03:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yea think he smelled you. You should of heard a wheeze also
Old 11-06-2004, 05:14 PM
voz
Fork Horn

I don't think the was downwind...the wind was from the south west, and he was north west of me...and I was in the middle of a draw (protected from the wind) ...he further down(almost at the bottom of the draw). Maybe he did... Anyway..I guess I don't know what a weeze sounds like. What are the chances that he heard the rattling, but didn't see any deer, and figured something wasn't right. I saw the same buck a month ago in another spot and he was on a straight path into an opening (where there has been corn on the ground for weeks)...and he stopped in the last bunch of trees, for a minute, then turned around and wlked right back down the path. Maybe he's just smart???
Old 11-06-2004, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did you come in from there? He might have smelled you from when you walked to the tree. Sounds like he winded you one way or another.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:50 PM

the wind probably swirled. it may be comingfrom teh southwest but when it hits ridges and draws and dips it tends to change a bit.

slayer