Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

big miss loser!

Old 11-05-2004, 01:50 AM

Default big miss loser!

The situation was perfect down here in LA (lower alabama). A cold front finally pushed through and the wind was perfect for a spot I ve been wanting to hunt all year. I have been seeing three bucks for the last month in the area, two 8's and a 6 and it was time to hunt it. The wind was blowing at around 15-20mph and it allowed me to slip into a hardwood head that runs along a bedding area that the deer utilize. At 4:30 I saw a 4 point, a doe and a spotted fawn. Then right on que at 5:15 I look down below my tree and see the 6 pointer standing right below me. As I get my bow ready to draw I hear a limb break and see an 8 point step out of the thicket. Both of the bucks are real cautious and alert, I guess due to the high winds today. I draw back on the 8 pointer and let it rip, a clean miss at a broadside angle 18 yards away. I dont know how I missed I put the pin right behind the shoulder and I guess he jumped the string. I dont know what happened except the deer must have been on alert due to the high winds and just jumped the string.

Yeah by the way this was the first time I had a chance at a buck with my bow and blew it. I am very discouraged after all of the practicing I have been doing shooting in the backyard three times a week.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:28 AM

Default RE: big miss loser!

Happens to all of us from time to time dont let it get ya down.There will be other shots and you wont miss.

Old 11-05-2004, 06:12 AM

I wouldnt worry about the miss. The first buck I missed and would have been my first bow buck was a very large 8 pointer, though I only got the one shot I still remember that time over 5 years ago and learned from the mistake as you will. Also it would have biggest bow buck to date so atleast I dont have a uphill battle to better the first deer. Best of luck and keep trying.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:40 AM

Yeah by the way this was the first time I had a chance at a buck with my bow and blew it. I am very discouraged after all of the practicing I have been doing shooting in the backyard three times a week
Don't beat yourself up. You stated it was windy which can reak havoc when bow hunting. The deer are more alert, the wind can effect arrow flight and if you're in a tree stand the tree can sway which makes getting a good shot off extremely tough. I'd gladly take a total miss over a wounded deer any day. Keep to your practice schedule (which is very important durring the season) and you'll get another change to make it count. I'm sure if you continue to practice as you have you'll make the next shot. Bottom line is Keep with it!
Old 11-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah by the way this was the first time I had a chance at a buck with my bow and blew it. I am very discouraged after all of the practicing I have been doing shooting in the backyard three times a week.
Don`t sweat it! Heck i missed my first and second? Just remember. When you were practicing in your backyard . Your nerves were not a problem. Also when you were practicing the wind was not whipping you around like a rag doll in your treestand? To many things that can cause you to miss when the real thing comes along? Hang in there and don`t give up!
Old 11-05-2004, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, don't sweat it. Take everything as a learning experience, there is only one thing you can't perfect from practicing your shooting and that is EXPERIENCE. It just comes with time. Don't feel too bad, I don't know anyone that hasn't ever missed. Good luck.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

As was said don't sweat it man!! It could have been much worse resulting in a wounded animal.

Think maybe the wind affected your shot? A gust right as you are ready to shoot can push the bow and cause a bad shot. Also tree sway as was mentioned or a combo of both of them.

Good luck!