Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question for those who have had Lasik surgery?

Old 11-04-2004, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question for those who have had Lasik surgery?

Any of you that have had this procedure done having problems in low light conditions? I had Lasik surgery done approx 1 year ago and I have noticed that at dawn and dusk I have a real problem seeing, (moreso than normal). Before the procedure I of course couldn't see without the aide of contact lenses or glasses but I never had problems seeing in low light conditions. Even though I have experienced this side effect, I would still recomend that others with sight problems have the procedure done. It corrected my vision to 20/20. The reason I ask this is because my lack of low light vision has cost me two opportunities at deer this year. Just last night, I let my bow down from my stand because I could no longer see my pins to shoot and just as I was about to climb down I spot a mature buck 30 yards and closing. I don't know how many points or the exact size of his rack, but the deer's body size gave away that he was mature. I could do nothing but watch as he passed by and finally out of sight. Just a little frustrating to think that I might have still had my bow in hand if I hadn't had the Lasik done. Just venting I guess, thanks for listening.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Question for those who have had Lasik surgery?

I had it done 5 years ago. I definately had problems in low light the first few months after I had it. I remember going fishing one night and feeling like I was blind...wierd feeling? Now I don't have any problems. Maybe it gradually got better, or maybe I adjusted. I actually feel my vision is at best when driving at night. Everything seems a little more clear then? Still the best money I ever spent! At the time, it cost me $4500, now I have a friend who had it done for $1800! To not have to worry about putting in those contacts and wear them for 16-18 hours during hunting season is well worth the money spent!
Old 11-04-2004, 04:00 PM

I haven't had it done yet, but would like to one day. I have given up on contacts and wear glasses exclusively now, and run into fogging problems at times if I don't treat the lenses before I go out.

Anyway, one other side effect to be aware of is that it reduces the amount of tears your eyes produce, which act as a warm bath in cold weather. If you get into extreme cold weather your corneas can freeze and obviously damage your eyesight. 4 time Iditarod winner, Doug Swingley from Montana, had this happen to him this past March while racing in the Iditarod. He had to withdraw because he literally could not see. His vision still isn't back to normal and may never be. Of course, that was under conditions far worse than any of us would ever hunt in, most likely. Blowing winds and -20 to -30 temps, before wind chill factors. In those temps, the deer can have the woods to themselves.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:06 PM

I just got my pre-op done and I am planning having the surgery done in the spring, now I admit you guys are making me a little nervous. I could care less how I look but I play alot of sports and am outside constantly, glasses are simply a nuisence to me. Maybe I need to research a little more.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

I have two foremans that I work with that have had the procedure. BOTH of them complain about the same thing in hunting situations. The best times of the day....dawn and dusk, their vision just doesn't seem that great. I haven't worked with them this fall at all, but when I do, I'll ask them how it's going as they'll both be about two years out from the surgery this year.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had it done about 2 years ago. Best 2k I ever spent. I can't even put into words how glad I am I did it. I don't have any problems at night.

The side effects I had (super large halos around car headlights, occasional bluriness) gradually went away over the first 6 months or so after the surgery. My vision now is better in every way then with glasses. I finally talked my wife into it and she loves it too. Her's was closer to 4k though. ouch!!!!!!

It's hard to tell what my night vision was like before the surgery. I really don't remember exactly. Tough to compare.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

by23856, one other side effect to be aware of is that it reduces the amount of tears your eyes produce
I also suffer from this side effect at night when I'm sleeping. Each morning I wake up and my eyes are extremely dry so I must put drops in when I first get up. The rest of the day my eyes are fine, no itchyness, no dryness. I never had that problem before the surgery either.
RackLuster, I agree that I've never been able to see as clear with glasses or contact lenses. I still would have gotten the procedure done even knowing that I would experience these side effects, I just don't understand why some people experience them and others don't. I wonder if it has to do with how much tissue they burn away with the laser. Some people get more tissue removed than others and I wonder if this may be what causes these side effects. In my case, my eyesight was absolutely horrible, I've worn glasses since I was 8 years old and have had increasingly worsening vision since then until it stabilized about three years ago (I'm now 27). By the time I got the Lasik done my vision couldn't be corrected to 20/20 with contacts. I had a very bad astigmatism in both eyes but primarily in my left eye which now gives me more trouble (dryness and lowlight visibility).
muley69, I hope I'm not discouraging you from getting the procedure done. In fact, after all the years of contacts and glasses and playing sports and all the other outdoor activity that I enjoy, I would definitely recomend having Lasik done. I know that you have to take the good with the bad, and in this case, the good still far outweighs the bad. Just make sure that when you talk to the Doc, ask him if these side effects are likely in your case and if he can explain things thoroughly to you.
Thank you guys for the responses.